Have you been experiencing fall in beautiful weather and flavors? Have you been craving any thing pumpkin? I have and I have been craving these pumpkin swirl brownies! I haven’t made them in a while and thought since the temperatures cooled a little, the timing was right!
I was seriously looking at the calendar waiting until the first day of fall happened so I could make something pumpkin and not feel silly. Have you ever baked something pumpkin in the summer? Do you have extra cans of pumpkin in your pantry at the end of fall? I do and I have baked something pumpkin in the summer and it just didn’t feel right. There wasn’t any thing wrong with the recipe and my kids weren’t complaining at all! Actually they were super happy! But for me, it just was off. It was still too hot to pretend fall was around. Now there is no way that it will seem off and I can happily bake away with pumpkin, so I will!
If you aren’t much of a pie baker and want to make something pumpkin for Thanksgiving, this is a fun alternative!
I wasn’t sure how the swirl was going to turn out this time, as I felt I didn’t save enough of the chocolate part when I was dividing up the batter. But it turned out just fine!
some notes on this recipe:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (original calls for 1/4. My kids were eating this.I had to go subtle)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (original recipe calls for 1 3/4. 1 1/2 was perfect for us)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger