This is still a cake that I love to bake! My kids love it…my friends love it. Everyone is happy when I bake this gorgeous ciambella (ring cake).
Recipe slightly adapted from a Bon Appetit recipe.
Orange Poppy-Seed Cake
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest (use organic orange if possible}
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter a tube pan.(I like to use baking spray)
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, orange zest, and salt in a bowl.
together butter and granulated sugar in another bowl with an electric
mixer at medium speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in
eggs until combined. Reduce speed to low, then add flour mixture and
poppy seeds and mix until just combined.
batter to cake pan, smoothing top, and bake until a wooden pick
inserted in center of cake comes out clean and top is golden brown,
about 30 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes, then invert onto
together confectioners sugar and orange juice in a bowl until smooth
(add more confectioner’s sugar or juice a teaspoon at a time if it’s too
thick or too thin until you get desired consistency). Pour glaze over
warm cake, spreading it with a spatula to drizzle over edge. Let stand
until glaze is set, about 15 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.