Summer has gone by in a flash and I have been meaning to share this delightful Spaghetti and Fresh Tomato Sauce! I’m not sure about you, but I have been enjoying tomatoes for weeks in so many different recipes!!
But I have to say, I find that sometimes I’m not craving my go-to, super simple tomato sauce. Sometimes I come across something in a magazine and I can’t wait to see how it turns out. I came across a grated tomato sauce a while back, and I’m not even sure which magazine it was in. When that happened, I completely forgot to make the sauce and the recipe was put aside in my mind for a while. Luckily, I came across this recipe in a recent Bon Appetit magazine and this time I made it right away. That right away was actually weeks ago, but putting together a blog post after editing all the photos in the middle of a fun summer sometimes gets postponed!But it’s technically still summer and there are
gorgeous tomatoes all over the place (and probably in your gardens, if you’re a talented gardener…I’m so jealous!!)
Here are the beautiful tomatoes that my grandmother in Calabria strings every summer with her friends and family…just stunning!!!
Keep in mind that the flavor of the sauce will depend on the tomatoes you choose for the sauce. Look for rice and juicy tomatoes. This recipe is totally vegan if you don’t add the Parmigiano Reggiano and of course, the butter. You could skip the cheese and add a touch of Earth Balance margarine to the sauce.
Make this vegan by not using the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. If you are gluten-free, use your favorite GF spaghetti!! I used spaghetti, but this would be wonderful also with linguine or angel hair pasta. You could toss in some olives and a little touch of hot pepper if you like it spicy!
Adapted from Bon Appetit.
SPAGHETTI WITH FRESH TOMATO SAUCE
- 8 oz pasta spaghetti angel hair or linguine also work great
- 2 lbs juicy ripe tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves pressed or minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 small sprigs rosemary
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8- 10 basil leaves torn
- fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Set a big pot of salted water to boil on high to cook pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
- Slice a thin round off the bottom of each tomato. Starting at cut end, grate tomatoes on the largest holes of a grater over a medium bowl until all that’s left is the flattened tomato skin and stem; discard. Take care while grating, as it gets slippery from the tomato juice. Don’t rush while you grate.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions, saute 2-3 minutes, until tender. Turn heat to medium. Add minced garlic. Saute a few minutes until garlic is fragrant and golden.
- Add rosemary and cook, tossing, just until fragrant and starting to brown around edges, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low, add tomatoes, and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is slightly thickened, 5–10 minutes. Remove from heat, add butter, and stir until melted.