This Vegan Apple Ring Cake-Ciambella di Mele is so easy to put together. Totally dairy free and super moist! Use your favorite nut milk and use more whole wheat flour if you like. It’s perfect for breakfast or for when you’re craving something a little sweet.
It’s officially spring here in South Florida.
I’ve been obsessed with my tube pans. I keep making different ciambelle (ring cakes) every week and am trying to share all the recipes here before I lose them. They’re written on scraps of paper stained with oil and flour scattered around my counters. This is one I’ve made several times in the last few weeks.
This lovely apple cake is dairy-free and egg-free. If you adore apple desserts as much as I do, this is a recipe to try! Moist and full of flavor…the eggs aren’t even missed one bit.
hope your weekend is full of peace and happiness! xo Lora
Vegan Apple Ring Cake -Ciambella di Mele
- 2 large apples peeled and cored (1 apple sliced, 1 apple cut into small chunks)
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 cup almond milk or whatever milk you prefer
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil or whatever oil you prefer
- 2 Tablespoons orange juice
- 1-2 tbsp turbinado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray a tube or Bundt pan with baking spray.
- Before you cut the apples, add the vinegar to the almond milk and let it sit and start to curdle a little to make the vegan buttermilk.
- Separate the apple chunks from the slices. Squeeze the lemon juice onto the apple slices and the chunks; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours and the baking powder. Add the lemon zest to the flour and mix it together with your fingers to release the lemon flavor; set aside.
- In another large bowl whisk together the sugar, oil, milk, and orange juice. Stir in the flour a cup at a time until it is incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula after you add each cup and mix well.
- Fold in the apple chunks.
- Pour the batter into your prepared ring pan. Place the apple slices around the top of the batter. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top of the apple slices.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 35-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.