This Easy Coleslaw Dressing is super creamy, tangy and vegan! This simple dressing recipe comes together in just minutes with pantry ingredients. Use it to make homemade coleslaw, broccoli slaw, or on any tossed salad.
It's really easy to make your own coleslaw when you find the prepackaged mix at any market. If you have the time, go ahead and chop up your own cabbage and carrots. And once you try this really simple coleslaw dressing, you will never reach for a bottle at a store!
Make this creamy dressing to your preference. You could adjust it to be a little tangier or go for the sweeter side, if that's what you like. The important thing is that you make it today!
Serve your homemade coleslaw with easy baked salmon, slow roasted pork shoulder, and mojo turkey tenderloin.
You could make our easy broccoli slaw tossed with this coleslaw dressing. Enjoy it with Healthy Chicken Patties, Spinach Chicken Burgers Whole30 Paleo, and Garlic Rosemary Whole30 Meatballs
This dressing is really great to serve all summer long, but it is also really nice to enjoy any time of year.
When you learn how to make your own coleslaw dressing, you'll never reach for a store-bought version again! This simple homemade coleslaw dressing will become your favorite...here is why:
- So simple to make- This dressing comes together not only in minutes, it is so creamy! All you need is ingredients you probably have in your pantry, a bowl, and a whisk.
- No artificial ingredients- When you whip up your own dressing, it does not have any artificial ingredients, stabilizers or flavorings.
- Just delicious- Not only is this coleslaw dressing so easy to make, it is also so flavorful! Really creamy and slightly tangy! You will be using it not only for coleslaw, but you can toss it on any salad or greens.
- Goes with so many recipes-The perfect dressing for our Easy Broccoli Slaw. It would also go great with this Whole30 Broccoli Salad (just omit the maple syrup from the dressing to keep it Whole30 compliant).
What ingredients are in a simple coleslaw dressing?
Here is all you need to make this flavorful dressing (full printable recipe below).
- Mayonnaise: I used a vegan mayo to keep this vegan. But you could use your favorite mayonnaise brand. The better the brand, the better the flavor will be for this dressing. Another idea is to use Greek yogurt in place of the mayo.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: The olive oil is optional. I like the subtle fruity taste the olive oil gives to the dressing. You could leave it out and the dressing will still be great!
- Maple syrup: Just a little bit is all you need to add some sweetness. I used pure maple syrup. If you're not vegan, you could use honey or even granulated sugar will work fine.
- Apple cider vinegar: A touch of vinegar brings a little tang and balances out the sweet flavor from the maple syrup.
- Mustard: Dijon or mustard works fine. I have made it with either one and it results in it brings another touch of tanginess to the dressing. Feel free to omit if you don't have any on hand.
- Sea salt: A touch of salt is all you need. Start with less, and add more, if needed after you whisk the dressing together.
- Freshly ground pepper: Grind a little bit of pepper into the dressing and check the flavor. Add more if you feel it could use a bit more. It's up to your taste.
How to make an easy coleslaw dressing from scratch?
Gather up your ingredients. All you need is a bowl and a whisk. Use a fork if you don't have a whisk.
Chill the dressing in a jar until you're ready to use.
To make coleslaw with homemade dressing
In a large bowl add a 14 ounce bag of store-bought shredded cabbage package (or shred 6 cups of cabbage and carrots). Start with 3/4 cup of the coleslaw dressing and gently toss with your slaw ingredients. Check the consistency, and add more, as needed and to your taste.
TIPS & VARIATIONS
- If you need to make coleslaw ahead of time and freeze it, substitute the mayonnaise with sour cream. Freezing the slaw with the dressing as is won't work out. The mayonnaise does not thaw well.
- If you're a garlic fan, you could add 1 garlic clove minced fine. It will really change the flavor of the coleslaw.
- For the spicey lovers, go ahead and add a little hot sauce. Sriracha Sauce would work great! It will give the coleslaw a nice kick!
How long will coleslaw dressing stay fresh?
If you have not combined it with the broccoli slaw, you could keep your homemade coleslaw dressing in a jar and store in the refrigerator. The coleslaw dressing will stay fresh in the refrigerator for at least 3-5 days. If you keep the dressing out for more than 2 hours, you need to toss it.
Can you freeze coleslaw?
To be totally honest, coleslaw with the dressing is not great to freeze. I get asked this question so many times. Since the dressing is mayonnaise based it will not freeze well.
If you replace the mayo with sour cream, you could freeze it. Sour cream will thaw much better than the mayonnaise. You can replace the mayonnaise in this recipe with sour cream. I would freeze for maximum 2-3 months. The vegetables will get mushy the longer they stary frozen.
Place the coleslaw in a zipped lock freezer bag and squeeze out all of the air before sealing it tightly.and freeze for up to 6 months. Sour cream thaws a lot better than mayonnaise. I do like mayo more than sour cream in my coleslaw, but for freezing purposes, it works out fine!
Place the coleslaw in a freezer bag making sure to remove excess air and store for up to 6 months for best results. So there you have it, you can definitely freeze coleslaw!
Some other recipes to enjoy:
Easy Coleslaw Dressing
- ¾ cup mayonnaise I used vegan mayo, use your favorite regular mayonnaise if you're not vegan
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon mustard Dijon or yellow
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or more taste
- In a medium bowl, combine all dressing ingredients: mayonnaise extra-virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Whisk to combine.
- Taste the dressing, and adjust seasoning to your taste. If you like it sweeter, add a bit more maple syrup. If you like it more tangy, add a touch more vinegar.
- Serve with homemade or prepackaged slaw, or any salad or greens. Enjoy!
- Serve with about 8 cups cabbage coleslaw mix.
- Serve over pulled pork sandwiches, fish tacos or as a side dish to any meal.
- If you’re planning on making your coleslaw ahead of time and freezing it, make sure to replace the mayonnaise with sour cream.
- This coleslaw is made with a mayonnaise based dressing and does not thaw very well.
- Add 1 clove of minced garlic to add some exciting flavor.
- If you like a spicy kick, add in a touch of your favorite hot sauce.
Leave a Reply