This homemade pumpkin spice latte mirrors the flavors of your beloved fall beverage from Starbucks, but with significantly reduced calories, fat, and sugar content. Crafted in a mere 5 minutes, it is the ideal companion to snuggle up with during the crisp, chilly weather. It's an absolute treat if you love pumpkin spice, and I am about to guide you through the process of making this DIY pumpkin spice latte right in your own kitchen.
Topped with whipped cream, this homemade version is way more affordable than what you’ll find at a local coffee shop. We love it with extra spices and dairy-free whipped cream. You could use homemade or canned pumpkin puree. I find the homemade version works really well in this coffee drink.
As soon as the calendar turns to fall’s official start, we all are craving a pumpkin spice latte. All I do is dream of pumpkin pie spices and the warm aromas of cinnamon. All I want to do is get comfortable with a good book and a hot cup of my favorite drink: Pumpkin Spice Latte!
When you buy at a coffee shop, they’re not economical and have a huge amount of sugar! Making it at home, you can control the sweetness (and obviously, save a lot!). I really love to make it with maple syrup, you could make it with the sweetener of your choice, or even keep it sugar-free!.
Since we live in a place that is pretty warm for most of fall, we all love this pumpkin spice latte over ice! Hot or cold, it is just delicious! It is so easy to make at home.
Why You'll Love This Healthy Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte:
- Full of Flavor: With its alluring combination of pumpkin puree, cozy fall spices, and sweet maple syrup, this latte offers a rich and satisfying flavor profile that is perfect for the season.
- Versatile: Whether you prefer your drinks hot or cold, this recipe can be easily adapted to suit your preference. It's just as delicious served over ice as it is warm and frothy.
- Customizable: The recipe allows for plenty of customization. You can adjust the spices and the sweetener to suit your taste. Plus, you can use any kind of milk you prefer.
- Easy to Make: With just a few simple steps and ingredients you probably already have on hand, you can prepare this latte in the comfort of your own home.
- Perfect for Any Time of Day: This latte is not just for breakfast! It can be enjoyed as a comforting afternoon pick-me-up or a delightful evening treat.
If you look in your pantry, you most likely have what is needed to whip this right up! It is so fast to make. In just minutes, you’ll have a delicious breakfast coffee and if you add whipped cream on top, a decadent afternoon pick-me-up!
Pumpkin Spice Latte Ingredients
Here is what is needed to make the best pumpkin spice latte. The full recipe is below.
- Milk – whichever dairy or dairy-free milk you enjoy. I prefer unsweetened almond milk. You could use whole mild or a lighter fat milk. Unsweetened coconut milk or even oat milk works great! IF you use a dairy-free milk (and dairy-free whipped topping), this drink is totally VEGAN!
- Pumpkin puree – canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) works great for this recipe. If you feel ambitious, you could make your own homemade pumpkin puree.
- Vanilla extract – the addition of pure vanilla extract goes perfectly with the warm pumpkin spices and ground cinnamon…it makes the fall flavors pop!
- Pumpkin pie spice – You could buy pumpkin pie spice already mixed together.
- Cinnamon – flavors in the pumpkin milk base. I usually add an extra dash!
- Sweetener – I prefer to use maple syrup. You could use honey or whatever sort of sweetener you like. Adjust the sweetness to your liking. You could even make it sugar-free.
- Coffee – If you are enjoying this hot, make a fresh pot of coffee or espresso. You could use a pod coffee maker. If you want it cold, you could make the coffee ahead of time and chill it before making the latte.
Do you use espresso or regular coffee in a pumpkin spice latte?
Either is perfectly fine. We have regular coffee and espresso pod machines, it can be made with either type of coffee.
If you don’t have one of these pod-type coffee makers, just brew your coffee and add it to the mug (about 1 cup of coffee).
Easy ingredient substitutions
If you are missing some of the ingredients, here is what you can do:
- Espresso: If you don’t have any on hand, sub 1/2 cup of just brewed regular coffee (decaf, is fine too!).
- Sweetener: Maple syrup is wonderful for fall. Sub it with brown sugar or even honey.
- Pumpkin Spice: If you don’t happen to have the pumpkin spice that is pre-mixed, sub with a combo of 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon ginger and 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves or allspice. That is your pumpkin spice mix!
How to Make pumpkin spice latte at home
Step1: gather all your ingredients together.
Step 2: use a blender to pulse milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, sweetener (of your choice) and spices. You could also mix it all together in a bowl by hand.
Step 3: If you’re enjoying it hot, add the the milk, pumpkin puree, spices, and vanilla extract to a sauce pan and heat up on the stove.
Step 4: If you’re enjoying it hot and at that moment, add the milk mixture to the coffee mugs (this serves 2)and top if off with your hot coffee of choice. If you’re being extra fancy, add some whipped cream and a dash of spice (cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice).
If you’re enjoying it chilled, pour the milk mixture over a glass filled with ice and add your coffee (you could also make the coffee ahead of time and store in the refrigerator to enjoy this cold).
If you are enjoying it later or next day, put it in a jar to chill in the refrigerator. When you're ready to enjoy, give the jar a good shake to combine all the milk ingredients. And then serve hot or cold (as explained above).
The pumpkin mixture that you use to make the milk base will last and be fresh in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. Keeping in mind, the fresher your ingredients, the longer it will last.
The fresher the ingredients used, the longer the milk mixture will last.
This homemade pumpkin spice latte can be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container. To reheat, simply pour your desired serving into a mug and heat in the microwave or in a small pan on the stove. Remember to stir thoroughly to ensure the flavors are evenly distributed.
If stored correctly in a tightly sealed container, a homemade pumpkin spice latte can last up to 5-7 days in the refrigerator.
Yes, you can! Pour the latte into an ice cube tray and freeze. When you're ready for a latte, simply thaw the cubes and reheat. However, the texture may change slightly upon defrosting and reheating.
No, you don't have to. As mentioned above, you can store the latte in the fridge and enjoy it later. This recipe is versatile and can be served hot or cold, depending on your preference.
This largely depends on the ingredients you use. This recipe uses unsweetened milk and allows you to control the amount of sweetener, making it a healthier option than many store-bought versions. Pumpkin puree also offers some nutritional benefits like fiber and Vitamin A.
Absolutely! This recipe is highly adaptable, so you can use decaf coffee if you prefer. The end result will still be a deliciously cozy and comforting pumpkin spice latte.
Some other pumpkin recipes to enjoy:
- Sourdough Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Challah Bread
- Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Donuts
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie
- BEST Vegan Pumpkin Bread Recipe (Quick & Easy)
- Homemade Pumpkin Pappardelle
Did you make this? Please RATE THE RECIPE below:)
DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 2 cups unsweetened milk unsweetened almond, whole, coconut, your choice
- 3 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-2 Tablespoons sweetener of your choice (I like maple syrup, adjust to how sweet you like it)
- 2 shots espresso or sub 2 cups hot freshly brewed coffee, but I prefer espresso
- Whipped cream optional
- ground cinnamon optional
- Put all your ingredients in a blender, and feel free to adjust the spices to your preference. Pulse the ingredients together. Store the latte mix in your refrigerator in a tightly sealed container (a jar would be perfect). if you’re not using right away.
- If you’re enjoying it right away hot, you could heat the first 6 ingredients in a small sauce pan or the microwave.
- When you’re ready to use it, shake it up. If you are making a hot latte, heat up 1/2 cup of the latte mix in the microwave in your coffee mug or heat up in a small pan on the stove.
- Once it’s heated up add 1/2 cup of the pumpkin milk to each mug (this serves 2)and add a hot shot of espresso to each mug (or 1 cup of strongly brewed coffee to each cup).
- You could also serve this drink cold, served over ice.
- Optional: Top it off with some whipped cream and a dash of pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon.
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information presented below is an approximation and may vary depending on the exact ingredients used.
- Milk: Use dairy (full or no-fat) milk or your favorite non-dairy milk.
- Pumpkin puree: use homemade if you prefer. But canned pumpkin puree is perfect for this recipe (make sure it’s not pumpkin pie filing)
- Spice: Use pumpkin pie spice (so you don’t have to mix all the spices together that go in it)plus ground cinnamon. We like our latte with extra spice flavor, but adjust according to your taste preference (use more or less).
- Sweetener: I like to use maple syrup, but use whatever sweetener you like, or even make it totally sugar-free.
- Coffee: Make it with strong American coffee or your favorite espress (I have espresso pods.
- Hot or Cold: Enjoy this delicious drink hot in a coffee mug, or chilled over ice.