These Baked Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts are one of the best fall desserts! This easy homemade recipe makes soft, delicious Pumpkin Donuts that are ready in under 30 minutes!
This is the time of year where you find pumpkin practically everywhere! You find it in soups and chilis. The fall is when pumpkin pies and cakes are welcomed with all its warm and comforting spices.
The one recipe we make every year without a doubt are these Baked Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts! This baked pumpkin donuts recipe is truly so easy to make and is ready in under 30 minutes!
The best part is they are baked and not fried and use very simple ingredients. Coated in an absolutely irresistible cinnamon sugar coating...always a hit with everyone!
Back to these cake style donuts. Can I tell you how much I love my Wilton donut making pan...just love it! You are maybe trying to bake donuts at home for the first time. If you have a brand new donut pan you've never touched, grab it and dive into this uncomplicated recipe!
You probably are like me and have a couple cans of pumpkin already in your cupboard. Turn on that oven and make these delightful donuts!
My kids are loving pumpkin every thing these days, so pumpkin it was!
What ingredients are in baked cake pumpkin donuts?
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- sea salt
- ground cloves
- vegetable oil
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- pure pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- ground cinnamon
How To Make Baked Pumpkin Donuts
The entire is whisked together by hand. You could do the whole recipe in one bowl, but I like to do the wet ingredients in one bowl (with the brown sugar)and whisk the dry in another and then combine.
In a large bowl, you add the flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Whisk it all together and set it aside.
In a separate bowl, stir together the oil, brown sugar, egg, pumpkin, vanilla and milk (We used almond milk...you could use regular milk or whatever nut milk or regular milk you love) until fully combined.
Now, stir in the flour mixture and continue to mix until smooth.
The trickiest part is transferring the donut batter into the donut pan. If you don't have a piping bag, you could use a large zip-loc type bag and snip a bottom corner off after you fill it with the batter.
It really helps to fill the donut tray with the batter to use a bag. I've made these so many times that I'm able to carefully get it into the pan with a spoon and not make such a mess! But zip-loc bag method is really the easiest without a mess!
Bake the donuts for 15 minutes. In the meantime while they bake, combine the cinnamon and sugar. Melt the butter (for many baked things, we are dairy-free, so we used vegan butter sticks). Dip in the melted butter (or vegan butter) and then dip in the cinnamon sugar. You could also add the cinnamon sugar to large zip-loc bag and shake it in the mixture.
Pin for later!
Baked cake donut tips
- Take care to fill donut pan up to 3/4 full. Overfilling will have the donuts go over the edges while baking. They will still be good, but not the right shape.
- Dip the donuts in the melted butter (or vegan margarine)while they are still warm. And then dip or shake in a bag with the cinnamon sugar so that it will stick.
- Prep the donut batter the evening before and keep stored in a covered plastic container (or glass container)in the fridge until ready to bake.
- Donuts when baked stay fresh for up to 2 days on the counter. We store ours in a long plastic container and lay them out on a sheet of parchment paper next to each other (not stacked).
If you ever get a mad craving for pumpkin donuts in the fall, you have to try making your own! These donuts are so easy to put together. They are filled with all of fall's warm spices and a gorgeous cake like texture.
The cinnamon-sugar coating is that extra special touch that helps make these donuts one of our favorite fall recipes!
If you don't have a piping bag, you could use a large zip-loc type bag and snip a bottom corner off after you fill it with the batter. It really helps to fill the donut tray with the batter to use a bag.
These Baked Pumpkin Spice Cake Donuts are so easy to put together. They are filled with all of fall's warm spices and a gorgeous cake-like texture. The cinnamon-sugar coating is that extra special touch that helps make these donuts one of our favorite fall recipes! Baked and ready in under 30 minutes!
updated from 11/2014
Some other pumpkin recipes to enjoy:
- Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts (not vegan)
- Pumpkin Challah Bread
- Pumpkin Swirl Brownies
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Salted Chocolate Caramel Sauce
Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons cinnamon more if you’re a cinnamon lover
- Preheat oven 350 Spray a donut pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk until combined. You could also mix the entire thing by hand with a wooden spoon.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stop 1/2 way in the process to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula and incorporate it well.
- Using a pastry bag, fill each donut cup with the batter. Fill almost to the top. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until donuts spring back when gently pressed.
- Turn donuts out onto a wire rack and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- While the donuts are cooling, melt butter in one bowl and combine the sugar and cinnamon in another. When donuts are still hot (but not too hot to touch), quickly dip each donut in melted butter, then coat in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Serve immediately.
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information presented below is an approximation and may vary depending on the exact ingredients used.