Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Apples is just what you need to make when its apple season! A fluffy and moist coffee cake with a surprise layer of apples and a crunchy almond cinnamon sugar topping.
Everyone should be totally adjusted to back-to-school days and it’s totally time for a slice of sour cream coffee cake with apples. Yes! You all deserve a coffee break and a generous slice of this delightful cake!
Why is a coffee cake called a coffee cake? I’ve been asked that by some Italian friends and even a relative or two, when it doesn’t have to necessarily have coffee in it. A coffee cake is a cake to enjoy with your friends (or family)with a cup of your favorite coffee. It’s so much fun to make a coffee cake or something a little different than a typical Italian cake when we stay in Italy.
My sister-in-law has such a sweet tooth and as soon as we arrive in Italy she wants to know what is new and different that I’ll bake for them. And let me tell you, it’s not easy getting into my mother-in-law’s kitchen to bake something. This Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Apples is a cake you’ll make all fall!
It’s sort of a challenge at first to convince her we will be baking something without her help. Then once she’s convinced, it’s the matter of gathering the ingredients. Sometimes she’s out of butter or eggs and she sends one of the grandkids down to the local shop to get what I need. Flour runs out pretty quickly there and she sends my father-in-law down to the cantina to get a bag.
There are often times the mixer is being used by her for something she’s making and I have to wait my turn. I’m telling you, I have often lost my desire by the time we get every thing lined up to make the dessert. Or we have every thing ready to go, but we have to to the store to get something for dinner. It’s always an adventure baking in Italy at my in-laws, and once in a while, we do get baking!!
Now if you’re in Italy and want to make you’re own sour cream, this is what you do:
Say you need 250 g sour cream: mix together 125g fresh cream + 125g of plain low-fat yogurt
PIN for later!
This coffee cake is adapted slightly from this overnight coffee cake that we make for Christmas morning every year!!
slightly updated Oct 2016
SOUR CREAM COFFEE CAKE WITH APPLES
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cups plus 2 Tablespoons sugar divided
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 apple peeled, cored and sliced in thin pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a springform pan and line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix together in a small bowl 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 Tablespoon sugar (you could use less sugar), set aside.
- Mix together in another small bowl the almonds, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1 tablespoon of the sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and 1 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Pour 1/2 of batter into pan. Smooth out with a rubber spatula.
- Layer on the sliced apples in a concentric circle making sure the apples don’t touch the edge of the pan and toss on the first cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Spread remaining batter on top and smooth out with a rubber spatula; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar and almonds.
- Bake until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 15 minutes. Invert onto wire rack; let cool completely.