This recipe for fresh apple coffee cake is perfect for a Fall morning treat. The moist and flavorful cake is topped with a sweet and crumbly topping made of brown sugar, flour, nutmeg and cinnamon. The addition of chopped walnuts gives the cake an extra crunchy texture and nutty flavor. This easy-to-make cake can be enjoyed fresh out of the oven or stored in an airtight container for later.
We don’t seem to take enough coffee breaks these days. How did it happen that our worlds became so rushed? I remember growing up and being at my great-aunt’s house and watching her bake.
Mariskaneni-my aunt- always had a sweet Hungarian cake ready for her friends that would come over for a visit and a good chat. There was great conversation and delicious desserts to be shared with her company. And always some steaming hot coffee. I need to do that a little more over here.
WHAT EXACTLY IS COFFEE CAKE?
Coffee cake is a sweet cake that is typically served with coffee. It can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch or as a dessert. The cake is often made with a streusel topping or crumb topping.
INGREDIENTS FOR APPLE COFFEE CAKE
- bread flour
- brown sugar, packed
- (1 packet) active dry yeast
- apple, peeled, chopped or shredded
- walnuts, chopped (cake is also delicious when you omit walnuts)
- brown sugar, packed
- all-purpose flour
- butter, softened
WHAT IS THE BEST APPLE TO USE IN A CAKE?
For this cake, I like to use Granny Smith apples. They are tart and firm, which makes them ideal for baking. You can also use Honeycrisp apples or Golden Delicious apples.
The cake is so easy to make and rises up nicely. It is sweet and moist from the apples and the crumble topping is wonderful. Perfect for an afternoon coffee break and delightful for breakfast.
More Recipes like this:
The Best Easy Fresh Apple Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp shortening
- 2 3/4 cup bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used 1 tsp)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 1/4 tsp active dried yeast 1 packet
- 1 cup apple, peeled, chopped or shredded
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (cake is also delicious when you omit walnuts)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup butter softened
- Preheat Oven to 375ºF.
- Grease and flour (or spray with baking spray) a tube pan or a 9-inch square cake pan.
- In saucepan, heat water and shortening until very warm (120°-130° F; shortening does not need to melt). In large mixer bowl, combine 1+1/2 cups flour, yeast, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon; mix well. Add water with the shortening to the flour mixture. Add egg. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. With a spatula, mix in the remaining flour, the apples and walnuts a little at a time until combined and you have a soft batter.
- Prepare Topping: Combine brown sugar, flour, and spices. Mix the butter in with your hands until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle topping over the dough.
- Cover; let rise in warm place about 30 (I let mine rise about 45 minutes) minutes. Bake at 375º F for 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.
Disclosure – This post was sponsored by Red Star Yeast. All opinions are my own.