What's an apple dessert doing in the middle of winter? I couldn't resist. I bake apple desserts whenever I am hit with the idea. A simple and lovely apple coffee cake is something I could deal with any day of the week.
Because, let's face it! Nothing is better than an amazing apple cake. I know...that's just my opinion. But for me, it's what I prefer most days of the year. I've had plenty of amazing chocolate cakes and cheesecakes. Cupcakes and cookies are just fine.
There is just something about a simple cake with a not too sweet and juicy apple filling that makes my day a little brighter! How about you?
I added a little streusel topping and that clearly was the right idea. There was no way this cake would be as amazing as it was without the addition of a sweet crumble in every bite. Buttery, crumbly, sweet apple...just perfect with an afternoon coffee or tea break. Or even for breakfast! I used this vegan cake batter that I just love! Everyone is keeping it lighter the month of January. If you have a different cake batter recipe you prefer, go ahead and use it. If you want to keep this vegan all the way, use margarine instead of butter for the crumb topping.
So to brighten a cold and chilly winter morning, I offer you a slice of this beautiful and happy apple crumb coffee cake! Hope you are keeping warm, wherever you are. Hope you are enjoying the month of January so far. Thanks for stopping by!!
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 2/3 Cup rice milk (or regular milk) + 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 Tbs Cornstarch mixed with 1/2 Cup Water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 large granny smith apples (or your favorite baking apples)peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2” pieces
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 tablespoons apricot jam (or your favorite jam)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces