A delightful ham and cheese quiche that is so easy to put together. The dough is very easy to make by hand or in a food processor. The perfect quiche for a Sunday brunch at home or even for dinner. Serve it with a side salad or your favorite greens.
I’m just like the average person that gets a mad craving for something. Maybe I’m not like the average person because most of my mad cravings involves a homemade pie crust. And it’s usually ME that is making the pie crust. So sadly many of my cravings remain just that, a craving.
But sometimes my cravings do get satisfied. Depending on how ambitious I’m feeling and what I have in my fridge. I was craving a quiche and it had to have cream and plenty of gooey cheese. Those were the my only requirements. My dream requirement was having someone else make it for me.
But that wasn’t happening. So I took out my food processor and put the most simple crust together that I’ve shared here quite a few times. It’s a winner from my Baking with Julia book. I could eat this crust for lunch and dinner every day and even breakfast. It’s the perfect texture for any savory tart you dream of baking.
The beauty of a quiche is you can fill it with whatever you have on hand and within a short time have a delicious and impressive dinner.
But really…this isn’t just my quiche. It is also YOUR quiche. Make it your own as you would like it. I wish I could bake it for you. You need more cheese in it? Go ahead! It’s your mad craving. I say you should satisfy it. I did. And it was exquisite.
My mom reminded me I didn’t take a photo of a slice of the quiche. It was burning hot. We were on the way to a basketball ceremony. I knew you all wouldn’t mind. I did take a photo of the filling before it was baked. See…there’s the ham and oodles of cheese…are you hungry yet?
What is needed to make Ham and Cheese Quiche ?
For the crust:
- all-purpose flour
- cornmeal (I used plain cornmeal)
- cold butter
- sour cream
For the filling:
- heavy cream
- provolone cheese (or whatever soft cheese you prefer)
- diced ham
- salt and pepper
Ham and Cheese Quiche
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. cornmeal I used plain cornmeal
- 7 Tb. cold butter
- 1/3 c. ice water
- 3 Tb. sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 cups diced provolone cheese or whatever soft cheese you prefer
- 1 cup diced ham
- salt and pepper to taste
- You’ll need a 9-inch pie or tart pan to bake the quiche(I used one with a removable bottom).
- Stir flour and cornmeal together. Cut in butter with your fingertips until butter is in pea-sized lumps. Stir ice water and sour cream together in a small bowl, then add to flour mixture.
- Mix together with a fork until mixture holds together and form into a ball. Dough also could be made by pulsing in a food processor.
- Squish the ball down flat into a disc and wrap it in plastic and chill for at least 2 hours.( You could also work with the dough the next day and it will be fine.)
- Remove the dough.
- Place the dough on a clean counter or work space. Sprinkle a little flour on your work space and roll until dough is about 1/8″ thick.
- Fold into quarters and transfer to tart pan.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the eggs. Whisk in the milk, cream, salt and pepper until the mixture is frothy.
- Toss the cheese and ham over the bottom of the crust. Pour the egg mixture over the ham and cheese.
- Place the quiche on a baking sheet 40-50 minutes or until the tart is golden brown and the filling is set but still jiggles a little in the middle. Check tart at about 30 minutes. If the tart shell is browning too much, cover the tart with foil paper for the rest of the baking time.
- Let tart cool before removing from tart pan or slice directly in the tart pan when warm.