Cinnamon Apple Banana Bread is a lovely quick bread made extra soft with super ripe bananas. This really easy to make quick bread is made with maple syrup, coconut oil and is dairy-free. Packed with delicious and cozy fall flavors from cinnamon apples layered in the middle and on top! Enjoy a slice for breakfast or an afternoon coffee or tea break!
It’s really easy to make this gluten-free and vegan! It is so hard to wait for it to cool down before taking that first slice.You’re going to be like me and buy extra bananas every week just to make more of this bread! No mixer, no problem!
Maybe you're in the midst of holiday pie baking (if you need a pie idea, I have quite a few to try out!). And maybe you were searching for something easier and scrumptious to make for Thanksgiving. This is the dessert you need in your life! The whole quick bread is made by hand! Grab a slice for a great on-the-go breakfast or a treat in the lunchbox!I thought I couldn't have another quick bread recipe, but my dairy-free assistant/daughter made this the other day and everyone fell in love with it! It's similar to my beloved apple banana bread, but slightly different. It’s got the addition of apple sauce and the lovely cinnamon apple layers in the middle and on top. Every slice is bursting with sweet apples!
This would make a lovely loaf to wake up to on Christmas morning. The scent of it baking brings warm and cozy feelings all through the house.
The best cinnamon apple banana bread:
- Apples-Use whatever type of apples you like best. I like Golden Delicious or even Pink Lady.
- Apple sauce - Unsweetened apple sauce adds extra moisture to the bread.
- Bananas- I usually have 3-4 ripe bananas on hand at any given moment. They make this quick bread so sweet and super soft!
- Maple Syrup-The bread is sweetened with pure maple syrup.
- Vanilla Extract – The fragrant vanilla extract really stands out with the bananas and apples.
- Mix-ins – Cinnamon is my spice of choice, but feel free to also add in some ground ginger. A little crunch of chopped walnuts would also be really nice in the quick bread batter.
- NO mixer- The whole recipe is made by hand! Once you’ve combined the wet and dry ingredients together, layer the batter in between the cinnamon-apple mixture. Spoon it into your prepped loaf pan and bake away. It’s ready when it’s nice and golden on top (and smells heavenly!).
Try the chocolate version: Banana Pear Bread with Dark Chocolate Chips
Try the muffin version: Banana Mango Flaxseed Muffins
What ingredients are needed to make a cinnamon apple banana bread?
This is what you’ll need for the recipe: (full recipe is printable below).
- flour (use ½ whole wheat or sub in gluten-free 1-1 flour to make GF)
- baking soda
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- sea salt
- bananas (3-4 very ripe)
- pure maple syrup
- coconut oil
Middle Layer + Topping
- apples peeled, cored and chopped
- sugar (I used organic cane sugar, but feel free to use coconut or maple sugar)
- coconut oil, melted
How to make apple banana quick bread?
The first step is to whisk the dry ingredients together.
Mash the bananas together. Mix in the eggs and the sugar.
Mix the apple layer ingredients.
Spoon half the batter into the prepped pan and layer half the cinnamon apples. Pour the rest of batter on top and the rest of the cinnamon apples.
Can I make this cinnamon apple bread gluten-free?
Yes, you sure can! Simply sub the flour with your favorite gluten-free 1-1 baking flour (King Arthur’s works very well for me).
Can I make a vegan cinnamon apple quick bread?
I’ve only tried this recipe as it’s written below. But you could try to add in flax eggs to replace the eggs! It’s dairy-free, so that’s only adjustment that would be needed!
How long does this quick bread stay fresh?
This cinnamon apple bread will stay fresh (covered) on the counter for up to 2 days. Best way to store it and keep it fresh is in the refrigerator, where it will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze cinnamon apple banana bread?
Yes, it is simple to freeze. Best way is to slice the entire loaf and wrap each slice in plastic wrap. Once it’s wrapped tightly, wrap with some foil paper. Best way is to store the slices in zipped lock freezer bags.
Or wrap the whole loaf in plastic wrap and then wrap again in foil paper. Should keep very fresh wrapped well in freezer for up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight on the counter when ready to enjoy. You could always warm up individual slices in a toaster oven on low heat (or the oven).
Some other delicious quick bread recipes to enjoy:
Cinnamon Apple Banana Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour you could use ½ whole wheat or sub in gluten-free 1-1 flour to make GF
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup mashed bananas (3-4 very ripe)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil *melted
- 2 eggs
- Middle Layer+Topping
- 2 medium sized apples peeled cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar I used organic cane, but use coconut sugar, if you like
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2 Tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place a rack in the center of the oven. Prep a 9 x 5 loaf pan by greasing with coconut oil (or whatever oil you like) or line with parchment paper and spray with baking spray (or use butter or margarine, and flour the parchment paper) and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas. Mix the egg with the sugar and oil and stir into the bananas.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, sea salt, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the chopped apples, sugar, oil and cinnamon.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet, stirring until completely combined, scraping side and bottom of bowl as you stir. Spoon out half of the batter into your prepped loaf pan.
- Spoon on half of the cinnamon-apple mixture onto the batter in loaf pan, trying to not touch sides of the pan. Spoon on the rest of the batter on top.
- Spoon on the rest of the apple mixture on top of the batter, trying to keep away from edges of the pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 55-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.. I usually lower my oven temp to 325°F for the second 30 minutes of baking (every oven is different, so maybe check yours 1/2 way through baking and if it’s browning too fast, lower temp to 325).
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information presented below is an approximation and may vary depending on the exact ingredients used.
Full size loaf pan - about 55-60 minutes (mine is usually ready at 55 minutes...every oven is different. So check your loaf at about 55 mins).
3 mini loaf pans - about 25 to 35 minutes
muffins - about 20 minutes (may be 15 -25 depending on the size of your tins)