Caramelized Banana Bread with Brown Butter Glaze is not your every day banana bread! The caramelized bananas just add the most irresistible flavor to your banana bread. It brings out this incredible rich, somewhat nutty and caramel flavor that makes this more than your simple banana bread. A different and delicious way to use up those super ripe bananas.
I can honestly say that we go through a lot of bananas over here. It’s a healthy snack and is wonderful in baking. I make a banana bread at least once a week and love to share them with my family and neighbors.
What you need to make Caramelized Banana Bread with Brown Butter Glaze:
For the bread:
- butter, softened (I used Earth Balance soy free)
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ripe bananas, sliced
- fat-free buttermilk (I used almond milk with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar)
- coconut oil
- amber or gold rum (use orange juice if you want to keep this alcohol free)
- flax seed meal (or eggs if you aren’t making this vegan)
- flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup all-purpose flour)
- baking soda
For the glaze:
- butter (I used Earth Balance soy free margarine)
- powdered sugar
- almond milk (or whatever nut milk you prefer if making this vegan)
More quick bread recipes:
- Sourdough Banana Bread
- Zucchini Poppy Seed Bread
- Apple Banana Bread
- Banana Pear Bread with Dark Chocolate Chips
Caramelized Banana Bread with Brown Butter Glaze
- 3 tablespoons butter softened (I used Earth Balance soy free)
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (make sure it's vegan if making this vegan)
- 3 medium ripe bananas sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk I used almond milk with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, use your favorite nut milk.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or any mild flavored oil
- 2 tablespoons amber or gold rum
- 2 flax eggs 2 Tbsp flax seed meal + 6 Tbsp warm water mix and set aside for 5 min, or use 2 large eggs if not making this vegan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon butter I used Earth Balance soy free margarine
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (make sure it's vegan if making this vegan)
- 2 teaspoons almond milk or whatever milk you prefer
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place a rack in the center of the oven. Spray a 9 x 5 loaf pan with baking spray (or butter and flour) and set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar and bananas; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool 10 minutes. Place banana mixture in a large bowl.
- Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Combine buttermilk, canola oil, rum and eggs (or flax eggs). Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat at low speed just until combined. Scrape batter into a 9 x 5-inch metal loaf pan coated with baking spray.
- Bake for 1/2 on hour at 350 then lower the heat to 325 and bake for about another 20-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Every oven is different. I like to lower heat halfway through baking time so that it doesn't bake up too quickly and brown too fast.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook 3 minutes or until butter begins to brown; remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Drizzle glaze over bread. Let stand until glaze sets.