August is here and it’s passing by in a flash! Which means summer is almost over (yes, I’m sobbing silently)which means what better time than now to share a fabulous Asian watermelon salad!
I’ve recently been looking for more fresh and easy summer recipes. I am used to eating watermelon in all of its sweet and glorious natural sweetness. After just coming back from Italy and enjoying watermelon at the end of every meal, I wasn’t sure if I could explore using it in a recipe.
HOW DO YOU MAKE WATERMELON SALAD?
For this recipe, you’ll need cubed watermelon, shallots, garlic, basil, cilantro and fresh mint leaves. A simple lime dressing goes over the top of the salad and it is all tossed together for a bright and fresh summer dish. The sweet watermelon with crispy shallots make it un unusual sweet and savory combination that is truly addictive! You’ll want to enjoy this salad all summer long!
Today is reveal day, and this month’s theme is: Beat the Heat!! Join me in reading about the food hunted down this month in the #bloggerCLUE member’s kitchens!
- Asian Watermelon Salad by Lora from Savoring Italy
- Beat the Heat Negronis by Christy from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Blueberry Icebox Pie by Kate from Kate’s Kitchen
- Curried Chicken Salad with Cucumbers by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Frozen Cherry Lemonade by Anna from annaDishes
- Homemade Gingerale by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Icy Rum Punch from the Islands by Debra from Eliot’s Eats
- Mango Jicama Salsa by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- No Bake Berry Cheesecake by Christiane from Taking on Magazines
- Oreo Cookies n Cream Ice Cream by Heather from girlichef
- Peach Ice Cream by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan Brittle by Kelli from Kelli’s Kitchen
- Prosciutto Parmesan Arugula Sandwich by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Roasted Tomato Soup by Sue from A Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Rhubarb Sorbet by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Summertime Fresh Corn Salad by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Tipsy Palmers by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Southwest Skillet Dip Alice from A Mama, Baby and Shar-pei in the Kitchen
updated from Aug 2015
Asian Watermelon Salad
- 1/3 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 small shallots 1 thinly sliced, 1 finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Juice of 3 limes
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 2 - inch piece ginger peeled and minced
- 1 red jalapeno pepper thinly sliced
- 4 cups chopped seedless watermelon
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoons cocktail peanuts roughly chopped
- Heat the peanut oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F.
- Add the sliced shallot and cook (make sure you reserve the other portion for your dressing), stirring often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; season with salt.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of the frying oil, the chopped shallot, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and jalapeno in a large bowl.
- Add the watermelon and toss to combine.
- Let sit 10 minutes.
- Add the cilantro, basil, mint and 2 tablespoons peanuts to the salad and season with salt; toss to combine. Top salad with chopped peanuts and fried shallot.