This easy Toasted Coconut Mango-Banana bread will transport you to the tropics! The toasted coconut takes this quick bread to a whole different level of deliciousness!
Almost a year ago I posted my favorite banana bread recipe. Not much has changed. It is still my favorite banana bread recipe.
What has changed is that I don’t always make it with chocolate chips. That is the most popular request, but sometimes we do like a little variety.
The mango situation is dwindling quickly. My tree has only about a dozen left hanging on in these scorching hot summer days. I’ve been baking mostly Italian recipes for our family visiting. I decided I wanted to make the Italian cousins a banana bread.
I knew it was something they have never eaten in Italy. They had this for breakfast this past week. They loved it and we loved it and we will be making this often. The toasted coconut is really good! You may be tempted to eat just the topping.
We have been beaching it and doing some more shopping. Today I took the kids to see The Smurf’s movie. Hank Azaria plays a wonderful Gargamel. Tomorrow we are visiting a hen farm! They have cows and goats and we are going to take lots of photos. I’m really looking forward to getting my hands on their fresh eggs!
Toasted Coconut Mango-Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups of flour I sometimes add 1/2 whole wheat and no one knows the difference
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup mashed bananas about 3-4 very ripe
- 1 mango peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup sugar I usually add about 3/4 and it turns out fine
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil could be substituted for apple sauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or few tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9 x5 loaf pan with parchment paper. Spread 1 cup of the shredded sweetened coconut on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted. Stir the coconut around or else it will toast too much on one side. Takes about 5-8 minutes to toast. Watch closely as it will burn quickly towards the end.
- When lightly toasted, set the coconut aside.
- Mash the bananas in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Mix the egg with the sugar, oil, and buttermilk. Stir into the bananas. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sea salt (regular salt is fine too), baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture. Fold in the toasted coconut and the mango chunks. Add the mixture to your prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle on the remaining coconut on top. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes and lower temperature to 325 F and bake for about another 25-30 minutes. Let cool in pan for a bit and then pull the bread carefully out of loaf pan with the parchment paper. Slice and ENJOY!