This delicious Slow Cooker Italian Beef Stew is everything you want in a hearty, comforting meal with huge depth of flavor. It is a deliciously slow simmered dish that’s wonderful for weekend family dinners or dinner parties with friends. Everyone is sure to love its incredibly rich flavor.
It does take some time to make this recipe, but it is totally worth the wait. And best part is, you let your slow cooker do most of the work. It is the perfect dish to make on a quiet weekend morning. Relax and enjoy the steps of creating a comforting and delicious Italian comfort dish.
A simply lovely dish to make when you have company coming over. You could prep the stew early in the day and it will simmer until dinner time. When your guests arrive they will be greeted with the delicious aroma of this wonderful dinner. As soon as it’s ready, simply serve it with really great crusty bread, mashed potatoes or polenta. It’s even perfect with a lovely tossed salad. A rustic and simple meal that does not disappoint in rich flavor.
Prep all your ingredients to make this delightful stew. I used a nice dry red Italian wine. Use a wine you would actually drink. The carrots and celery are cut in large chunks. I broke up my San Marzano tomatoes with a fork. You could also puree them.
The slow cooker makes this classic Italian beef stew very easy to pull together. Start by browning the beef cubes and sweating the celery, onion and carrot. Next, you add in your red wine and seasonings.
After that, you add the meat and vegetables into the slow cooker.
Pour the tomato sauce on top and then let the slow cooker do its magic.
After 8 hours, the meat becomes so tender and you will have an delicious, and hearty meal.
BEEF STEW IN A SLOW COOKER OR DUTCH OVEN
One of the best ways to make a delicious beef stew is to make it in a slow cooker. You may have yours hidden in the cabinet waiting for fall. This is the time of year to take it out and whip up comforting fall dishes any day of the week. Without spending hours in the kitchen, let the slow cooker do the work for you!
If you are using a Dutch oven instead of the slow cooker, you have to check on it more often and stir it. If you’re using the Dutch oven, simmer the stew over low heat on the stove top for 2 1/2-3 hours. You will still get great results in the depth of flavor.
As with most stews, this tastes even better the next day! Make a large portion and the next day enjoy the leftovers.
BEST EVER SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW
When the temperatures start to drop, the best way to warm up is with a hearty bowl of beef stow. Our favorite way to make beef stew is in the slow cooker. It simmers low and slow and the enticing aroma fills your house all day long. This beef stew has a rich tomato and wine based sauce filled with vegetables. It is one of the best ways to get such tender and delicious beef with a sauce filled with depth of flavor from a slow simmer.
Pin for later!
After a long day at work, come home to comforting aroma of an amazing, slow-cooked dinner. If you are looking for a beef soup, you have to try this Hungarian version (SO GOOD!). Another comforting dish is our Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (totally vegan and super hearty!).
Please let me know how you like this recipe in the comments! I’m always so eager to hear from you and hope you love this beef stew.
Slow Cooker Italian Beef Stew
- Slow cooker
- Large skillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 pounds beef stewing meat in chunks
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 large carrots peeled ends trimmed and cut into chunks
- 4 large celery sticks trimmed and thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary and sage
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups tomato sauce I used San Marzano tomatoes puréed (you can use a fork to break them up or pulse in food processor)
- 1 spring fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- Black pepper to taste
- MEAT AND VEGGIES
- Combine the beef in a bowl with your flour until well coated. Heat the oil in a large and deep skillet (I used a large cast iron skilleover medium-high heat. When the oil is heated up, tap the excess flour off of your pieces of beef into your bowl that the beef and flour were combined in and place them into the hot pan. Brown them until all sides have a nice sear on them (do not stir too much as the beef will not sear properly). Add in the onions, carrots and celery (do not stir too much, or the beef will not brown properly). Toss in the dried herbs, if using.
- Pour the red wine into the pan, scratching the browned bits off the bottom. Add the salt and pepper. Cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Add the tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if needed. Remove to a 5-6 quart slow cooker.
- SLOW COOKER
- Carefully transfer to a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Add the tomato sauce on top of the meat and veggies. Add in the bay leaves and rosemary sprig. Stir it all gently together to make sure the sauce goes to the bottom of the meat and veggies.
- Cook the stew on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours. Adjust seasoning as needed. Either finish cooking with the lid open (if you want a thicker steor closed if you want it soupier. Before serving, discard the bay leaves and rosemary sprig. Serve with mashed potatoes, polenta or crusty Italian bread.