Penne with Mozzarella, Cherry Tomatoes, and Basil is a really easy Italian summer pasta dish. It's even more delicious at room temperature. If you don't like the tuna, leave it out.
I feel silly saying we get really excited to go the super-market. It sounds ridiculous, but it’s TRUE! I could spend literally hours just roaming through every aisle. I get lost in the pasta aisle and the 100’s of different types of pasta.
Then I get lost in the bakery section. Boxes and boxes of pretty pastries ready for me to bring home. Except Teresa won’t let me because she is always baking something wonderful.
If you are into seafood, their seafood department is amazing. If you don’t like seafood…just keep staring at the pastry photos. Very fresh and quite a selection.
This day we were there we picked up some calamari and shrimp. Teresa fried it all. Fried Italian seafood with some salt, lemon, and fresh bread makes the most incredible meal.
Penne with Mozzarella, Cherry Tomatoes, and Basil
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 balls medium sized of fresh mozzarella
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- handful of sliced basil
- can of Albacore tuna optional
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- dash balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice mozzarella in little chunks. In a large bowl, add the mozzarella, sliced cherry tomatoes, and basil (and tuna, if you are using it).
- Cook pasta until it’s al dente.
- Drain the pasta and toss it into the bowl with the mozzarella mixture.
- Add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix with a large spoon until it’s all incorporated. Check flavor and add salt and pepper, if needed.
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information presented below is an approximation and may vary depending on the exact ingredients used.