Ham, Goat Cheese and Vidalia Onion Tart is savory and delicious tart. Made with a homemade crust filled with caramelized Vidalia onions, ham, and goat cheese. Just wonderful for a Sunday brunch or an easy weeknight dinner.
Planning for dinner is not always so easy. Some days I feel I have a good handle on it. Some days I just want to eat a sandwich or a bowl of soup! Some days I’m just graving a tart like this ham, goat cheese and Vidalia onion tart!
When caramelized onions are involved, everything seems much brighter (and more delicious!).
These tarts are so much fun to make. If you are not into making your own crust (I swear this crust is easy and it’s ok if it doesn’t look perfect when you roll it into the tart pan!!), you could buy a ready-made crust.
But when you look at the list of ingredients on the box of a ready-made crust, you may be swayed to attempting to make your own crust. Plus, it tastes SO MUCH BETTER!!
How to make a savory tart?
It’s so easy to make. The crust can be pressed into the pie plate. No need to make it a perfectly rolled out dough.
The filling comes together in minutes.
Prick the pie crust and in a bowl, prep the filling. Place the goat cheese around the bottom of the pie crust.
Pour the filling on top of the pie crust.
If you don’t have ham on hand, please add bacon. Really, it’s ok! And if you are trying to avoid meat, sub in something like zucchini or mushrooms…just delicious!!
Some other savory tart recipes to enjoy:
- Tuna and Spinach Tart
- Spring Pea and Ricotta Tart
- Salmon and Spinach Tart
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Tart
Ham, Goat Cheese and Vidalia Onion Tart
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon cold cider vinegar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour plus more for surface
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 ounces cold cream cheese cut into small pieces
- filling ingredients:
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup milk
- 3 slices ham
- 1 small onion sliced thin and caramelized
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 Tablespoons goat cheese or any other soft cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Tart shell directions-Combine water and vinegar in a small bowl. Combine flour and salt in another bowl. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut butter and cream cheese into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some larger pieces remaining.
- Add water mixture to dough in a slow, steady stream, stirring, until mixture just begins to hold together. (Alternatively, pulse ingredients in a food processor.) Turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Press dough into a disk. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour or overnight.
- Filling Directions-
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs with cream and milk. Stir in ham, cooled onions and herbs.
- Roll dough to fit your chosen tart pan, then drape dough in pan. Neatly press dough up the sides of the pan and shape it. Set it on a sheet pan.
- Prick bottom of the tart with a fork. Scatter goat cheese over the tart. Pour in the egg mixture.
- Place the tart pan over a foil lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the tart is golden brown and the filling is set. Check tart at about 30 minutes. If the tart shell is browning too much, cover the tart with foil paper for the rest of the baking time. Let tart cool before removing from tart pan or slice directly in the tart pan when warm.