This Instant Pot Italian Pork Roast recipe makes tender, juicy meat from a pork shoulder roast in the pressure cooker in about one hour! You could make pulled pork sandwiches with it or serve it with gravy and mashed potatoes for a delicious dinner everyone will love!
I know that March is here and we are even pushing the clocks forward again this weekend. But there is snow in so many places still! Snow means you crave comfort food. If I lived in a snowy place I would crave comfort food. Even living in a hot place I crave comfort food. You see where this is going.
So let’s get to this super easy recipe for the most delicious Italian pork shoulder roast (pork butt roast). I did add extra liquid to the roast as I wanted to have more leftover to add to my gravy. The gravy is so easy to put together as you just use butter, flour, any leftover juices that is made in the Instant Pot when it’s finished cooking, broth (or water), a little wine (feel free to omit if you don’t like the flavor). I also had some sautéd porcini and regular mushrooms on hand from another recipe and those were added to the gravy (fantastic combo!!). You could totally make your gravy without mushrooms. I did not brown my roast and onions before adding to the Instant Pot. It was cooked to perfection and the juices sealed in without browning it and it resulted in the most tender Pork Butt Roast.
In this photo you can see the pork in its own sauce that it made in the Instant Pot (this is before I added the rest of it to the gravy). It has such a beautiful and rich color.
Instant Pot Italian Pork Roast
- boneless pork shoulder 7 pounds
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- 2 cups packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 Tablespoon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 cups broth I used my own chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine -I used a Pinot Grigio I had on hand already opened optional-you could use more water or broth if you prefer
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups broth plus the juices from the Instant Pot after the pork cooks
- 1/2 cup mushrooms I used porcini and regular mushrooms that were already cooked up-optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut the roast into two large pieces. Rub the pork with 1 Tablespoon salt and pepper, and a teaspoon of paprika. Place in a plastic zip bag or plastic storage container. Store in the fridge overnight or a for a few hours before cooking.
- When ready to cook, add the roast onto the trivet inside the Instant Pot. Add the liquid (water, broth, wine if you are using, or more broth/water if you don’t like to cook with wine). Add the sliced onion and fresh herbs on top of the roast.
- Cover and move the valve to sealing position.Turn the instant pot to MANUAL pressure ‘HIGH’ and cook time 45 minutes. Allow for a natural release. When the top unlocks (I left mine on warm for almost 30 minutes while I made my side dishes), slice the roast or you could shred the pork with two forks (if making pulled pork sandwiches).
- Melt the butter or fat in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat.
- Whisk flour into butter.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Whisk in another half cup. Keep adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time stirring together so it’s smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer a few minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper (and the mushrooms if you are using them(already cooked up). Serve the pork with the gravy, mashed potatoes or polenta, your favorite green vegetable.