Clementine Cranberry Scones are flaky and delicious. These delightful vegan scones are bursting with clementine flavor and juicy tart cranberries. Completely dairy free and so easy to make!
I like to have something ready to bake on Christmas morning. Something easy and delicious like these sweet little scones. I couldn’t decide which photo to post first. I know that scones really aren’t that glamorous and therein lies the beauty of a humble scone: Simplicity. They’re flaky and rustic. There are supposed to be crumbs all over the baking sheet.
Cranberry smudges are also not a problem.
Did you notice that these are vegan? Yep. They are vegan. Flaky and not even a smidgen of butter. Look at how the texture is?
Now if you’re looking for scones made with full dairy butter, you have try these authentic Scottish scones! And if you’re a banana fan like we are, these banana scones with maple espresso glaze are so great for breakfast! For the pumpkin fans: these pumpkin cranberry scones are delightful!
What ingredients are needed to make clementine cranberry scones?
- baking powder
- ground ginger
- orange zest (I used clementine)
- vegan margarine, chilled (I used Earth Balance)
- cranberries (I used fresh)
- vanilla extract
- almond milk
- turbinado sugar
I made these twice in two days. I had found a hidden bag of cranberries in the fridge. I made something else with the first portion.
Originally published December 2011 and republished December 2021 with updated photographs.
Then there were these last cranberries that seemed just destined to go into these darling little scones. Don’t you agree?:)
I couldn’t not keep the original photos of these scones in this blog post. The sun was so gorgeous that December morning.
Fill your house with sweet smell of scones on Christmas morning. Who has time on Christmas morning to make scones?
Can I make the easy vegan scones dough the night before?
Yes! Make the scone dough the night before and leave in the fridge until the next morning. Bake the chilled scones and make everyone happy on Christmas day. Then you can bake them again the next day. They are really that good. 🙂
How to make easy vegan scones?
Gather all your ingredients.
First step is to combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. I like to use my clean hands to cut the margarine into the flour mixture.
Once you have the dry mixture together, stir in the cranberries that are chopped in half. Just warning you, carefully cut those cranberries. They will roll away and they don’t have to be carefully cut in half. Just do your best.
Add in the liquid ingredients and stir gently. This is the part where you use your hands to gently work it together. You’re going to transfer the dough to your parchment lined baking sheet and form it into a circle. It is messy and it doesn’t have to be perfectly combined.
Once you form the circle, carefully pat it a little and form the top down a bit. Use a very sharp knife to slice it into 6 portions.
Now is the time to brush it with some milk (I used unsweeteened almond milk)and sprinkle on some turbinado sugar. It really makes it sparkle! I also added a little of the zest to the sugar topping.
Depending on how big you formed your circle, they could be ready in 15 minutes or even 24 minutes. Mine were ready at about 20 minutes.
They are truly not difficult to make and absolutely delicious!
IF you have any leftovers, they are fine on the counter for a day. They will still be nice and fluffy!
Merry Christmas to all my friends that celebrate. xo
More Easy Breakfast Recipes:
- Vegan Orange Marmalade Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Streusel Muffins
- Oven-Baked Strawberry Pancake
- Sourdough Banana Bread
Clementine Cranberry Scones
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoon orange zest I used clementine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegan margarine chilled (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 cup chopped cranberries I used fresh
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 6 tablespoons almond milk divided (or whatever milk you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or a Silpat mat), and set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, orange zest, and salt, and mix well. Cut margarine into flour mix with a pastry cutter or fork.
- When mixture has a coarse consistency, add in cranberries and mix together.
- In a small bowl, combine vanilla with 5 tablespoons almond milk before adding both to flour mixture. Mix thoroughly, slowly adding the rest of the milk a few tablespoons at a time, until mixture forms a dough and no dry ingredients remain.
- Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and form into a rough circle. Cut it into 6 equal triangles with a sharp knife, and space evenly across sheet. Brush the scones with a tablespoon of the almond milk and sprinkle lightly with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes until golden brown.(I ended up baking mine for about 20-24 minutes) Let scones cool completely on a wire rack.