Make these delicious Vegan Chickpea Patties in less than thirty minutes! Slightly crispy on the outside and tender and moist and flavorful on the inside. Protein-rich, healthy, and loved by all! With a touch of spice and subtle herb flavor, they’re great for dinner or even as appetizers!
These chickpea patties are super simple to put together! They are so flavorful and tender and are slightly crispy on the outside. They would make a wonderful vegan burger idea with your favorite vegan buns. Make mini patties and you have a really great appetizer idea. Also great to serve on the side with your favorite salad.
Originally posted on January 2021 and republished on January 2022. These chickpea patties are so easy to put together and simply delicious!
Vegan Chickpea Patties
We just love chickpea recipes! This Chickpea Stew with Kale and Sweet Potatoes is made all winter long. I have to say that my mom made these fantastic patties. She is quite the veggie burger queen. She reminded me she’s been making them for years way before they became so popular! I recently was thrifting and found a brand new copy of the Veganomicon book. In trying to keep healthier this January, I thought you all would love this recipe as much as we do!
When I went completely vegan about 8 years ago, I tried so many recipes in that book! I only had the library copy and never actually bought the book. She was more excited than I was when I found this book a month or so ago. The first recipe she tried was their chickpea patties
Mom changed up the recipe by using nutritional yeast flakes and adding freshly squeezed lemon juice. She also adapted the fresh herbs and paprika to her taste (she also added a tiny bit of spicy paprika to give it a kick!). These have become quite a popular recipe!
The kids rush to grab one as soon as they cool down a little. It’s impossible to make them wait and they love them just as they are. But make a vegan tzatziki sauce to go with it or serve them as burgers with all your favorite toppings!
How do you make the best vegetarian patties?
The first step is to gather up all your ingredients. You could use fresh herbs. I used the dried rosemary and sage from my mother-in-law in Italy and my own fresh dried thyme.
Next step is to carefully mash up the chickpeas. It’s totally fine to have some larger pieces of chickpeas. You could also pulse it together in the food processor if you prefer.
Using an ice-cream scooper, scoop out your patty portions.
Use your hands to form them into nice and firm patties and place them on a plate.
Once you get all your patties formed, cover the plate and place in the fridge for about an hour. If you skip this step, they still cook up great! My beautiful mamma’s hands forming the patties.
I really can’t handle deep fried foods any more. The patties were scored on a grill pan and then lightly fried in a little bit of oil (I used a coconut oil mix). It’s so much lighter to cook them like this and also keeps them a bit healthier. They also could be baked in the oven. They also could be baked the whole time in the oven or very carefully grilled (they’re more delicate than a regular burger).
Can I make these chickpea patties in an air-fryer?
Yes! You can make these delicious vegan patties in an air-fryer.
Here is how you make them in an air-fryer:
Preheat air fryer to 375°
Place patties in a singer layer on the greased air-fryer basket, spray with cooking spray. Cook for 8-9 minutes on one side.
Gently flip to the other side, spray with oil spray (if needed), and cook for 5-6 minutes more (the patties will be a nice golden color and crisp).
What are some tips for making vegan chickpea patties?
- A trick with any bean burger is to firmly pack when you’re making the patty.
- Make sure you’re not pressing with the spatula on them when you’re cooking them up.
- If you’re using these as burgers, try to form the patties to fit the size of your bun when you’re forming the shape.
Pin it to your HEALTHY RECIPE, DINNER, LUNCH or VEGAN Board to SAVE for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes! I am always pinning :)!
How do you make chickpea patties ahead of time?
It’s really easy! Just make the chickpea patty mixture up. Shape them into small rounds (if you’re using them for finger bites). Wrap them up and place in the refrigerator in a large zipped lock bag. They’ll stay fresh for up to three days. The day of your party, just cook them up according to recipe right before everyone arrives! Perfect for when you have any last minute friends coming over for a drink.
Can you freeze these chickpea patties?
Yes! It’s best to freeze before cooking them up. Simply pat the patties with a little bit of whole wheat flour. Then freeze the uncooked patties by placing a small sheet of wax paper between each patty. Place them in zipped lock freezer bags for up to a month. Defrost completely before cooking them up.
Some other vegan recipes to enjoy:
- Vegan Banana Snacking Cake
- Vegan Matcha Brownies
- Cabbage, Lentil and Chickpea Stew
- Kale and Chickpea Soup with Garlic Crostini
One last thing…I promise 🙂
Just a quick request: if you enjoyed the recipe as much as we did, would you kindly leave me a 5-star rating and a short (or long!)comment–the ratings are what helps get my recipes and hard work discovered, so I can keep leaving you more delish recipes!
Your comments mean the world to me….and I really SMILE when I read them. Thank you so much! XX
Vegan Chickpea Patties
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus more for the pan
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 large lemon zest and juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage and rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- In a large bowl, mash together chickpeas and olive oil, until it’s mostly smooth (it’s ok to have some larger pieces of chickpeas).
- Add in the nutritional yeast flakes and bread crumbs.
- Add in the broth a tablespoon at a time. You want to have a cohesive mixture but not have it be too watery. It should be a nice thick and smooth mixture that you could work with to form the patties.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir together. You could check the flavor and add a little more herbs or paprika if you like the flavor. Spice it up with a dash of chili if you like spicy.
- Form into the patties and place on a plate. Cover and refrigerate for an hour or more.
- When ready to make, heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add a thin layer of olive oil to skillet, cooking cutlets fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side until lightly golden and crispy.
- Add more oil if needed when you flip them.
- The patties are done when they have a nice golden brown color are firm to the touch.
- AIR-FRYER METHOD
- Preheat air fryer to 375°
- Place patties in a singer layer on the greased air-fryer basket, spray with cooking spray or an oil spray (I like to use an olive oil cooking spray). Cook for 8-9 minutes on one side.
- Gently flip to the other side, spray with oil spray (if needed), and cook for 5-6 minutes more (the patties will be a nice golden color and crisp).