It’s so much fun to bake for friends. Especially when they request something and it turns out as they expected. Sort of like this upside-down pineapple cake. I know it doesn’t look like the typical upside-down pineapple cake that you maybe grew up eating at parties or that your mom made sometimes on a special occasion.
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (20 ounccan pineapple chunks in unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/4 cup unpacked brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.. Pour juice off can of pineapple into 1 cup measuring cup-it should be about 3/4 cup juice. Add water to make 1 cup.
- In a separate bowl, combine the pineapple juice, oil, and vinegar.
- Dump pineapple chunks into the bottom of a 12" spring form pan (you could use an 8" x 8" or other sized spring form, just adjust cooking time). Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Quickly mix wet ingredients into dry, stirring quickly to combine ingredients well and get out the big lumps. Pour into pan on top of the pineapple/brown sugar mix.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Baking time will depend on pan size).
- Let cool and loosen sides of cake from pan. Remove side ring and place serving plate on top. Flip cake over onto serving plate and remove pan bottom. Drizzle on a simple powdered sugar glaze.