There is something about having a fresh loaf of bread ready for a big lunch or dinner any day of the week that is so comforting. This Gluten-Free Flax Seed Soda Bread (Soda Bread con Semi di Lino) is so easy to put together! And did I tell you this bread is gluten-free and vegan!
The reality is that when the kids are at school and there is the flurry of after school homework and activities, not much fresh bread is baking.
Gluten-Free Flax Seed Soda Bread
Baking fresh bread is usually happening on a rainy Sunday when we have more time to stay at home and relax. The recipe should have a subtitle: How to make fresh bread in less than an hour. In Italy they call this bread pane senza lievito (bread without yeast), soda bread, or pane Irlandese (Irish bread). It can be found on multiple Italian blogs. I guess even Italian mamma's don't mind an easy way to bake your own loaf of bread.
I shared an Irish soda bread (and this fantastic rye soda bread!) a few years back that I found in a Gourmet magazine (gosh, do I miss that magazine!!!). One of the articles in the magazine that was all about Ireland is by Jeanne Lemlin.
Jeanne wrote about Irish soda breads after a trip she made there with her family. Jeanne writes about the Irish bakers, “As the six women worked, silently and swiftly measuring, mixing, kneading, and shaping, McSweeney (the bakery’s manager), explained, ‘You must use a coarsely ground low-gluten flour.’" And did you know that there is even a Society for the Preservation of Irish Soda Bread. The author of the article explains, “the Irish have made Soda Bread theirs. Not by choice, but by a state of poverty that made it the easiest bread to put on the table.” They are there to make sure you are making a traditional Irish soda bread.
How do you make dairy free buttermilk?
It's really easy! All you need is:
- dairy free milk (I used unsweetened almond for this recipe)
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Combine the vinegar and dairy free milk in a small bowl and let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it sours. That's your simple dairy free buttermilk.
Everything a delicious soda bread should be, only this one is gluten-free and vegan! Use whatever combination of seeds you like. You can experiment with different flours or use a 1-to-1 gluten-free baking flour. Add raisins for a little bit of sweetness.
Thank you Bob’s Red Mill for providing me with products to recipe test!.
GLUTEN-FREE FLAX SEED SODA BREAD-SODA BREAD CON SEMI DI LINO
- 2 cups 1-to-1 gluten-free baking flour I used Bob's Red Mill
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- flax seeds
- sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper and butter it. Sprinkle some of the flax and sesame seeds on the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the buttermilk.
- Stir just long enough to form a dough, then turn out onto a clean and floured countertop (or pastry board)and pat into a loaf, and put into the prepared pan.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1/4-inch-deep lengthwise slash down the middle of the loaf leaving a 1-inch margin at either end.
- Brush with more buttermilk and sprinkle with flax and sesame seeds (or whatever seeds you're using).
- Bake at 400 for 45-50 minutes, or until the top and bottom of the bread both sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool on a rack for about 15 minutes before slicing.
YUM! I just love this recipe. I've never made soda bread, but I love how easy it sounds and how delicious it looks.
Amanda B. says
I've never made a soda bread before.. but this is totally tempting me!
Michelle Verkade says
Oh my, this looks incredible! I love soda bread!
I love all those seeds on top. The added crunch and nutrition is fantastic. Plus, I had no idea you could make diary free buttermilk. Very cool.
Lauren Hall says
Kids are the reason I can't get around to baking as much lately too. Definitely want to try it!
This is gorgeous! I love the added crunch from seeds! Yummy!
The Food Hunter says
This looks amazing...bob's red mill products are awesome to work with
lauren kelly says
What a GORGEOUS loaf of bread! Love all of those seeds!
Nik Snacks says
I just some new chia seeds and hemp seeds. I'd like to see if both of those work with this loaf. Thank you for sharing!
Alyssa (EverydayMaven) says
I LOVE flax seeds on and in my bread. This looks so good!
Kimberly Killebrew says
What a gorgeous loaf of bread and the texture looks great - I need to try this!
Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes says
I agree that nothing beats a fresh load of bread!
Brandy | Nutmeg Nanny says
Oh my! I haven't had soda bread in so long! cannot wait to try this out!
Kirsten from http://ComfortablyDomestic.com says
Fresh bread is always a good idea. I am so in love with all of the flax seeds on top! I can't wait to make this for a gluten free friend!
What a great twist on the traditional soda bread... I've tried a multigrain version before, but never with flax and sesame seeds like you've done here. Sounds like the perfect thing to make for St Paddy's Day! 🙂