Do you ever make something that is so simple and so flavorful and you become obsessed with it? That’s what happened with these Easy Pickled Cucumbers! They’re so easy to make and you will be craving them as much as we do!
The intense summer heat is upon us here in Florida and sometimes it’s not easy to think of what to make. I know, everyone says you should just turn on the grill and make something outside. Seriously?!? Outside??? It’s scorching hot and then there are the massive amount of mosquitoes to deal with. I’m not sure if it’s just me, but mosquitoes just love me!
I heard from my grandmother-in-law in Calabria this summer that mosquitoes totally avoid her and my mother-in-law has the same luck! Last May when they were visiting us for a month, she would even sleep outside on the patio and they wouldn’t touch her. In the evening…when the mosquitoes are the worse around here…not even ONE bite! Well, she wasn’t outside with the intention of taking a nap. She would actually be outside to do the rosary. I admired her dedication to stick to her prayer plan even while away from home. She would take her rosary and go sit outside in the quiet and pray away and the mosquitoes would leave her be. Lucky her!
But back to what to make on hot summer days. I could really eat a big plate of salad with a huge portion of these cucumbers and be totally content for lunch or for dinner. If someone would grill me a piece of chicken or fish, it would be the perfect summer dinner!!
HOW TO PICKLE CUCUMBERS
There was a time that I felt it could be too time consuming to pickle cucumbers. I was sure I’d have to invest in more canning jars and spices and that it would take a while to marinate. And that could be the case for some pickled cucumber recipes, but not this one! This pickled cucumbers recipes take no more than 10 minutes to make and are ready to eat in less than 30 minutes.
And don’t just make these in the summer time, make them any time of the year!! In case you are trying to add more veggie recipes to your life: this is vegan (and I guess I don’t have to mention, it’s also gluten-free…ha!). Perfect on the side with grilled tofu, fish, chicken and even steak. Great with any Asian noodle recipe. Looking for other easy pickled recipes? Our Easy Pickled Watermelon Rind and Easy Pickled Jalapenos are two other great recipes to preserve summer!
I know you’re ready to pickle some cucumbers!
Let’s get pickling!
updated from July 2016
Easy Pickled Cucumbers
- 1 large English cucumber sliced very thin ( on a mandolin if possible)
- 1/2 of a small red onion sliced very thin ( on a mandolin if possible)
- 2 teaspoons salt more or less to your liking
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- about 2 TBS. rice vinegar unseasoned
- Prepare cucumbers by peeling and slicing them very thin. Thinly slice the onions. Add them to the cucumbers and sprinkle on the salt and sugar, and the vinegar.
- Mix well and let rest in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes before serving.
- You may want to drain off any excessive juices that accumulate before serving as well, depending on how long they sit before serving. If making the night before, just store in the refrigerator and then drain before serving (I happen to like the excess liquid it makes).
- The salad will be fine in the refrigerator for about one week.