Apricot Summer Bread
- for the dough (see notes)
- for the topping
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 3 apricots, sliced in small pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons almond extract, divided
apricots (dried and fresh) and 2 cups water in a large heavy saucepan.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring and mashing
apricots occasionally, until fruit is very soft and broken down and
most of liquid is evaporated, about 15 minutes. Add 1/2 cup sugar; stir
until dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in preserves and 1 tsp.
almond extract. Let cool completely. DO AHEAD Can be made 3 days ahead.
Cover and chill.
- Follow directions for focaccia.
down dough; divide in half. Place half of dough in the center of a
12-inch-square piece of parchment paper. Using your fingertips, shape
dough into a 9-inch round. Slide dough on parchment paper onto one end
of a large baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough on another piece of
parchment; transfer to other end of baking sheet. Divide apricot
mixture between rounds, leaving a 3/4 inch plain border.
cover tarts with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let rise in a
warm, draft-free area until puffed but not doubled in size, 45–50
- Meanwhile, arrange a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 375°. Beat egg with 2 tsp. warm water in a small bowl.
- Brush border of dough with egg wash. Bake until crust is golden, 25–30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
AHEAD: Bread can be baked 1 day ahead. Let cool completely. Wrap in
foil and store at room temperature. Reheat in a 350° oven until warm,
10–15 minutes. Alternatively, freeze in a resealable freezer bag for up
to 1 month. Thaw before reheating.
- Dust hot bread with powdered sugar. Serve at room temperature.