Pumpkin Bundt Cake is super soft and filled with warm fall spices and the lovely addition of coconut. A great dessert idea for the holidays! Totally vegan and totally delicious!
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake (Ciambella di Zucca e Cocco)
- Why You Will Love This Pumpkin Coconut Cake
- Substitutions/Variations for this ciambella alla zucca
- How to toast coconut in the oven?
- How to make a pumpkin coconut bundt cake
- Expert Tips
- More recipes like this:
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Coconut
Pumpkin Bundt Cake (Ciambella di Zucca e Cocco)
I may have eaten one too many Heath bars on Halloween night. I can’t resist them. My kids have since safely hidden their candy stashes before I had a chance to sift through it.
Earlier today I got lucky and found a tiny pack of Swedish Fish. My 2nd favorite Halloween candy.
This cake is very easy to make. The trickiest part is toasting the coconut. You can’t get distracted and check your twitter or text your mom. No quick emails. Keep an eye on it and make sure it turns out this color. It could go from this perfectly toasted coconut to burnt coconut in a matter of minutes. If you love pumpkin, you have to try this pumpkin bread. For the bread lovers, this pumpkin challah bread is incredible!
This is the kind of cake I like to bake on a rainy Sunday before Halloween. Spicy and full of pumpkin moistness. No need for any thick frosting. Better to save the sugary stuff for what was coming the day after Halloween.
Why You Will Love This Pumpkin Coconut Cake
- Distinct Flavor: The unique combination of pumpkin and coconut gives this cake a distinctive, delectable flavor that stands out from typical desserts.
- Ease of Preparation: The recipe is designed to be straightforward and easy-to-follow, making it perfect for both novice bakers and seasoned pros.
- Vegan-friendly: This cake is completely vegan, which makes it a great choice for those following a plant-based diet or anyone looking to reduce their consumption of animal products.
- Perfect for Fall Celebrations: The warm spices and pumpkin theme make this cake an ideal dessert for autumn get-togethers and holiday celebrations.
- Deliciously Moist: Thanks to the pumpkin puree and coconut oil, this cake is incredibly moist and soft, ensuring every bite is a treat.
- Versatile: It can be enjoyed as a dessert, a snack with a cup of coffee, or even as a sweet treat for breakfast.
- Healthy-ish: Though it's a dessert, this cake is made with wholesome ingredients like flax meal, almond milk, and unsweetened shredded coconut.
Substitutions/Variations for this ciambella alla zucca
- Gluten-Free Option: For a gluten-free version of this ciambella alla zucca, substitute regular flour with a gluten-free baking flour blend.
- Sugar Alternatives: You can replace organic sugar with other sweeteners such as agave nectar, maple syrup, or Stevia.
- Spice Variations: Feel free to play around with the spices. Nutmeg or cloves could add a different twist to the flavor profile.
Every region in Italy has a different traditional recipe for it. Soft and moist in the middle, a ciambella is perfect for breakfast dipped in a hot cup of caffè latte. In the meantime, you must try this recipe. It is delicate and wonderful. Perfect the way we enjoyed it on another rainy afternoon.
Like they say in Italy: non tutte le ciambelle riescono col buco. You win some and you lose some. Not every thing comes out as planned.
- All-Purpose Flour: It forms the base of this vegan pumpkin bundt cake, providing structure.
- Baking Powder & Baking Soda: These are leavening agents that help the cake rise.
- Salt: It enhances the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Ground Ginger & Ground Cinnamon: These spices add a warm, autumnal flavor to the cake.
- Coconut Oil: It adds moisture and a subtle coconut flavor.
- Organic Sugar: It sweetens the cake.
- Flax Meal: It acts as a vegan egg substitute, helping to bind the ingredients together.
- Lukewarm Water: It is used to activate the flax meal.
- Almond Milk: It adds moisture to the cake.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: It reacts with the baking soda to help the cake rise.
- Vanilla Extract: It adds depth of flavor.
- Pumpkin Puree: It adds moisture and a rich pumpkin flavor.
- Shredded Unsweetened Coconut: It adds texture and a burst of coconut flavor.
How to toast coconut in the oven?
Spread the shredded unsweetened coconut in an even layer over a large baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 5-8 minutes. Stop to stir every two minutes. Watch closely as it will burn quickly towards the end.
It may take a full 8 minutes. I say 5 minutes because every oven is different. I have burned coconut by not checking on it for one extra minute and let me tell you, it smells awful and is so disappointing to throw out all the coconut. Baking mishaps do happen!
We used unsweetened coconut to keep it less sweet. You could also use sweetened shredded coconut if that's all you have at home, but cake will come out sweeter.
My love for pumpkin in sweet or savory recipes is great. I will be sharing some super yummy links on a new post coming up soon…so hang tight for a PUMPKIN PARTY!
In the meantime, you must try this delicious vegan pumpkin cake recipe.
How to make a pumpkin coconut bundt cake
Pumpkin Coconut Bundt Cake-Ciambella di Zucca e Cocco
yields: approx 10 servings
- Preparation: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan.
- Toast the Coconut: Spread shredded sweetened coconut on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted. Stir the coconut around or else it will toast unevenly. Takes about 5-8 minutes to toast. Watch closely as it will burn quickly towards the end. When lightly toasted, set the coconut aside.
- Prepare the Milk Mixture: In a small bowl, add the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit for a minute.
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Prepare the Sugar-Oil Mixture: In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar together until fluffy.
- Prepare the Flax Mixture: In another bowl, combine flax meal and lukewarm water. Stir and let it sit for a minute.
- Combine Mixtures: Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture, flax mixture, and milk mixture to the sugar-oil mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Add the Remaining Ingredients: Stir in the vanilla extract, pumpkin puree, and toasted coconut until well incorporated.
- Transfer to Pan: Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake: Place in the oven and bake for approximately 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool and Serve: Remove from the oven and let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then, transfer the cake onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve. Enjoy your scrumptious Pumpkin Coconut Bundt Cake!
- Pan Preparation: Make sure to grease and flour your Bundt pan thoroughly to prevent the cake from sticking.
- Check for Doneness: To check if your cake is done, insert a toothpick or skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean or with a few crumbs clinging to it, the cake is done.
- Cooling Time: Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing to prevent it from falling apart.
Yes, this cake freezes well. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then foil. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Yes, you can use fresh pumpkin. However, you will need to cook, puree and strain it first to remove excess water.
You can use vegetable oil or olive oil as a substitute, but it may slightly alter the flavor of the cake.
Chia seeds can act as a substitute for flax meal. They also serve as a good binding agent in vegan recipes.
Yes, it's recommended to refrigerate the Pumpkin Coconut Bundt Cake if it will not be served immediately or within a day. Storing it in the refrigerator will help to maintain its freshness and extend its shelf life. Make sure to cover it well to prevent it from drying out. When you're ready to serve, just bring it to room temperature for the best flavor and texture.
updated from Nov 2011 in October 2023
More recipes like this:
- Easy Italian Vegan Apple Cake
- Best Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Vegan Bread Recipe
- Apple cider mimosas
- Amaretti almond pumpkin pie
- Gnocchi con Patate e Zucca con Ragu' alla Bolognese (Potato and Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Bolognese Sauce)
- Pumpkin Spice Latte
Did you make this? Please RATE THE RECIPE below:)
Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Coconut
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup coconut oil or another mild flavored oil
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 4 tbsp. flax meal
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsps. vanilla extract
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a Bundt cake pan. Or spray the pan with baking spray (my preferred method).
- Spread shredded sweetened coconut on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted. Stir the coconut around or else it will toast too much on one side. Takes about 5-8 minutes to toast. Watch closely as it will burn quickly towards the end. When lightly toasted, set the coconut aside.
- In a small bowl, add the almond milk (or regular milk)and apple cider vinegar. Let sit a minute. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar together until fluffy.
- Mix flax meal and water, let sit for one minute. Slowly add the flax seed mixture to the oil mixture. Whisk in the vanilla and and almond milk. Stir in the pumpkin puree.
- Add the flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time to the wet ingredients. Stir well after each addition and scrape down the sides of the bowl while mixing.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and bake for about an hour or until wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- After cake has cooled for about 1/2 an hour, turn it out of the pan and dig in! Dust with confectioner's sugar and any leftover toasted coconut before serving (optional).
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information presented below is an approximation and may vary depending on the exact ingredients used.