Mixed Berry Angel Food Cake
yields: 10-12 servings
Angel Food Cake
1 3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cake flour
12 egg whites at room temperature
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup lemon curd
pint of heavy whipping cream
approximately 2 cups mixed berries to scatter on top
approximately 5-7 cantucci (biscotti) pulsed in processor to make crumbs to decorate sides
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 3 large egg yolks, strained
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
- Combine yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar in a small saucepan. Whisk to combine. Set over medium heat, and stir constantly with a wooden spoon, making sure to stir sides and bottom of pan. Cook until mixture is thick enough to coat back of wooden spoon, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add butter, one piece at a time, stirring with the wooden spoon until consistency is smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd to avoid a skin from forming; wrap tightly. Let cool; refrigerate until firm and chilled, at least 1 hour.
1 pint of heavy whipping cream (I used organic)
Chill a medium sized metal bowl in the freezer. Remove bowl from the freezer and add the heavy whipping cream to the bowl. Using a hand mixer on high speed, whip the cream until soft peaks begin to form (about 1-2 minutes).
When the cake has cooled, slice in the middle. Spread the lemon curd on the bottom layer of the cake. Carefully place the top layer on top of the lemon curd layer. With a spatula, spread evenly some of the whipped cream around the sides of the cake. Gently pat the biscotti crumbs around the sides of the cake. Pipe the remaining whipped cream on top of the cake or spread on with a spatula.
Scatter on top your mixed berries and ENJOY.
Thank you for stopping by!! Hope your week is wonderful!