Not intending to post something with chocolate around Valentine’s Day, because it is my least favorite holiday. But I couldn’t resist making these Vegan Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Einkorn Cookies this week! Really, who doesn’t like chocolate?
I have admitted here a few times that chocolate desserts aren’t my favorite. I know, I’m not typical. I would happily take a slice of some sort of rustic apple dessert than a slice of luscious chocolate cake. It’s just how I am. These cookies are something I wouldn’t pass on as they were made using einkorn flour and natural coconut flakes. One of my favorite ingredients to bake with is natural coconut flakes. I prefer the ones that are soft and fluffy and not sweetened at all. They are so nice to add to so many recipes.
About The Einkorn Experiment:
You have to check out Heather’s Hemp-Chia Flax Einkorn Crackers. They look fantastic!
some notes on this recipe:
I slightly adapted this recipe from Veg Kitchen. These cookies are very easy to make and you could omit the coconut if it’s not something you care about. If you aren’t able to find einkorn flour, you could substitute it with spelt flour. When you work with ancient grains and heirloom flours, you just have adjust the hydration levels (it absorbs liquid much slower) and also be sure not to over mix the dough (when you mix too much the cookies could become tough).
CHOCOLATE CHOCOLATE CHIP EINKORN COOKIES
- 1½ cups einkorn flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar vegan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips vegan
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350º F. Line baking trays with parchment paper or silpat mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add in the apple sauce, oil and coconut. Stir in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips. If you use coconut oil, the dough may be hard to incorporate and you could use your hands to get it together.
- Stir together until you get a firm batter.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 2-tablespoon balls and place 8 balls, spaced 4 inches apart, on each of the baking sheets. Place the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top and around the sides of the cookie balls.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes , or just until set. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.