This Easy Texas Sheet Cake recipe is just the one you need in your life! You’ll truly need to look no further for complete chocolate decadence. Sour cream, Greek yogurt and cocoa make the BEST sheet cake you’ll ever have!
Y’all…it’s time to get busy baking Southern style! I’ve told you before, I don’t really say y’all when I talk. But I LOVE to type it. It’s just so cute…and Southern! And I do live in South Florida. Even though I don’t think Florida is considered a part of the South.
Easy Texas Sheet Cake Recipe
Anyway, we can finish that discussion another day. Let’s talk chocolate! Chocolate has been on my mind a lot lately. A lot more than normally. Did you see my last post where I did a Decadent Brownie Yogurt Pie?
I had so much fun coming up with my last recipe. I eat Chobani Greek Yogurt every day! Yes, every day! It is my little indulgence at the end of a long day. I drizzle it with honey and a little bit of granola. That is my secret to avoiding finishing off all the sweets I bake!
I have been drooling this issue of Southern Living’s Out Best-Ever Cakes and Pies from 2008 that my mamma gave me. Thank you mamma! I promised my family (and neighbors) I would bake some recipes from it. The first one I had to try was their Texas Sheet Cake.
What is exactly a Texas Sheet Cake?
I researched a little bit and found that a Texas Sheet Cake was actually first called a Sheath Cake. On this blog , I read that many people in Texas don’t even know that this cake is called a Texas Sheet Cake . Phew! Then I won’t offend the kind people of the lovely state of Texas when they find out I added Chobani Greek Yogurt .
I guess in Texas people say it’s “Aunt Velma’s Chocolate Cake”, or they just call it a Chocolate Cake. I thought a little bit of Chobani Honey Greek Yogurt would be the perfect addition. I am not going to lie and say that this is a light dessert like my last Chobani recipe was.
This has lots of butter. Buckets of butter. This cake is moist. It is addictive. You will be happy you made it in a sheet pan because everyone will want a slice or two when they see you’ve made a Texas Sheet Cake.
So now I want the skinny!! IF you live in Texas, do you call this cake a Texas Sheet Cake or a Sheath Cake?
Here’s the other best part…the recipe!!
Easy Texas Sheet Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 6 ounce container of Chobani Honey Greek Yogurt
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 sticks regular butter if you have unsalted, that is fine too!
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup water
- FUDGE FROSTING
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 16 oz package powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in Chobani Honey Greek Yogurt, sour cream, and lightly beaten eggs. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in 1 cup water and 1/4 cup cocoa. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat.
- Let it cool a minute, and then with a hand-mixer on a low speed, add in the yogurt mixture into the cocoa mixture a little at a time. Pour the luscious batter into a lightly greased 15x10x1 jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 325 F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While the cake bakes, prepare the frosting.
- Stir together first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until slightly thickened; remove from heat. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread the warm cake with Fudge Icing.