Instant Pot Italian Pork Roast
This Instant Pot Italian Pork Roast recipe makes tender, juicy meat from a pork shoulder roast in the pressure cooker in less than two hours! You could make pulled pork sandwiches with it or serve it with gravy and mashed potatoes for a delicious dinner everyone will love!
Prep Time3 hrs
Cook Time1 hr 30 mins
Total Time4 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- boneless pork shoulder 7 pounds
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- 2 cups packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 Tablespoon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 cups broth I used my own chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white wine -I used a Pinot Grigio I had on hand already opened optional-you could use more water or broth if you prefer
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups broth plus the juices from the Instant Pot after the pork cooks
- 1/2 cup mushrooms I used porcini and regular mushrooms that were already cooked up-optional
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Cut the roast into two large pieces. Rub the pork with 1 Tablespoon salt and pepper, and a teaspoon of paprika. Place in a plastic zip bag or plastic storage container. Store in the fridge overnight or a for a few hours before cooking.
When ready to cook, add the roast onto the trivet inside the Instant Pot. Add the liquid (water, broth, wine if you are using, or more broth/water if you don’t like to cook with wine). Add the sliced onion and fresh herbs on top of the roast.
Cover and move the valve to sealing position.Turn the instant pot to MANUAL pressure ‘HIGH’ and cook time 45 minutes. Allow for a natural release. When the top unlocks (I left mine on warm for almost 30 minutes while I made my side dishes), slice the roast or you could shred the pork with two forks (if making pulled pork sandwiches).
Melt the butter or fat in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat.
Whisk flour into butter.
Whisk in 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Whisk in another half cup. Keep adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time stirring together so it’s smooth.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer a few minutes.
Taste and add salt and pepper (and the mushrooms if you are using them(already cooked up). Serve the pork with the gravy, mashed potatoes or polenta, your favorite green vegetable.