Thin, delicate and crispy pizzelle cookies from the Abruzzo region of Italy are lovely to bake during Christmas or any time of the year. Perfect to enjoy with an espresso for a coffee break.
Servings: 24 cookies
- 1 1/4- 1 1/2 gluten-free flour multi-purpose flour or use regular all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon anise extract optional
- 1/2 cup butter or butter alternative melted
- Confectioner's sugar for dusting
Warm up a pizzelle iron and spray lightly with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar until frothy and beginning to thicken (about 2-3 minutes).
On low speed, add the extracts and melted butter to egg mixture in a steady stream and mix for 30 seconds.
Slowly add the dry mixture to wet and blend just until combined. Your batter will resemble a soft and sticky dough.
Drop 1 tablespoon of batter on hot pizzelle press. Close press and cook for about 1 minute or until light indicated cookies are done (cookies should be slightly golden).
Use a fork to lift pizzelle off the press and transfer to a plate.