Risotto with Porcini Mushrooms
Risotto with Porcini Mushrooms is wonderful with even dried porcini. This risotto gets its creaminess from butter and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Gluten-free and wonderful when you are craving homemade Italian food.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2- ounce dried porcini broken into pieces with your hands or fresh if you’re lucky
- 1 zucchini sliced thin
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock hot
- 1/2 pound fresh porcini cleaned and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a large skillet; add the onion, mushrooms and zucchini and cook until the onions are translucent and soft (but not browned).
Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon about 3 minutes. Add the white wine and cook about 1-2 minutes stirring with the wooden spoon.
Add a 4 to 6-ounce ladle of stock and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed. Continue adding the stock a ladle at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding more. Just before adding the last 4 to 6-ounces of stock add the freshly sliced porcini.
Cook until the rice is tender and creamy and yet still a little al dente, about 15-20 minutes.
Stir in the butter and cheese until well mixed.