Irish Soda Bread-Spotted Dog
This traditional Irish Soda Bread requires no rising time and is so simple to put together. No kneading and no waiting…in no time you have an amazing quick bread! It is just perfect for breakfast or enjoy with a hot cup of tea whenever you need a little bread.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus additional for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup wheat bran not bran cerealor toasted wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 cup golden raisins I also used some currants
- 1 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt use your favorite nut milk or dairy free yogurt to make it vegan
Preheat oven to 400 F and sprinkle a baking sheet lightly with flour (or line a sheet with parchment paper).
In a large bowl whisk together flour, bran, baking soda, and salt. Add butter and toss to coat with flour. With fingertips rub in butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add raisins and toss until coated. Add buttermilk and stir until dough is moistened evenly.
On a floured surface knead dough one minute, sprinkling lightly with additional flour to prevent sticking (dough should remain soft). Shape dough into a ball.
On a prepared baking sheet pad dough out into a 6-inch round. Sprinkle round with additional flour and with fingertips spread lightly over round. With a sharp knife cut a shallow X on top of round.
Bake bread in middle of oven 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown. Wrap bread in a kitchen towel and cool on a rack one hour. Unwrap bread and cool one more hour.