Roasted Eggplant, Tomato and Zucchini Pasta
Roasted Eggplant, Tomato and Zucchini Pasta is a fresh and light summer dish. This easy pasta recipe is the perfect way to use those sweet tomatoes ripening on your kitchen counter. You’ll be making this delicious pasta all summer long.
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil; more for drizzling
- 1 ¾ pounds eggplant cut into 1-inch cubes (I used Japanese)
- 5 Roma (plutomatoes or more to taste, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 zucchini cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped (not the stems)
- 1 pinch salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 3/4 lb. dried penne rigate
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh basil
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Spread out the cubed pieces of eggplant, zucchini and tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Toss with 1/4 cup of the olive oil, fresh rosemary, and season well with salt. Roast, turning everything a couple of times, until eggplant and are very soft and deeply golden brown, 30-35 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large post of salted water to boil. Cook pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Before draining, reserve about 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Transfer the cooked pasta to a large serving bowl.
Add the chopped sun dried tomatoes and a little splash of pasta cooking water and toss until the pasta is coated.
Add the roasted vegetables to the bowl and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the chopped basil and season with additional salt and pepper. Drizzle on a little bit more olive oil, if needed.
MAKE IT VEGETARIAN: This pasta dish like this is completely vegan. Make it vegetarian by grating on some Parmigiano Reggiano or your favorite pecorino cheese.
MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE: Substitute gluten-free pasta for the whole-grain spaghetti.
All images and text ©Savoring Italy. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If using my posts in collections and features, please link back to this post for the recipe.