Asian Watermelon Salad
A summer salad that is full of sweet watermelon, fresh mint, cilantro and basil. Asian Watermelon Salad is tossed in an easy lime dressing with a little spice from the jalapeño pepper. It is so easy to put together and will make any summer dinner party exciting!
- 1/3 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 small shallots 1 thinly sliced, 1 finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Juice of 3 limes
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 2 - inch piece ginger peeled and minced
- 1 red jalapeno pepper thinly sliced
- 4 cups chopped seedless watermelon
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoons cocktail peanuts roughly chopped
Heat the peanut oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F.
Add the sliced shallot and cook (make sure you reserve the other portion for your dressing), stirring often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels; season with salt.
Whisk 2 tablespoons of the frying oil, the chopped shallot, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and jalapeno in a large bowl.
Add the watermelon and toss to combine.
Let sit 10 minutes.
Add the cilantro, basil, mint and 2 tablespoons peanuts to the salad and season with salt; toss to combine. Top salad with chopped peanuts and fried shallot.
All images and text ©Savoring Italy. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If using my posts in collections and features, please link back to this post for the recipe.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?