Some tips on the blueberries for this post:
- We prefer fresh blueberries for this cake. Simply tossing them with a spoonful of flour will make sure they don’t all sink to the bottom of the cake while baking.
- If you choose to use frozen berries, it isn’t necessary to defrost them but you have to add on 5-10 minutes of baking time. Frozen blueberries will give the cake a purple hue, but the flavor will be still perfect.
- You could sub out whatever fruit you like. Here is the strawberry version of this delicious cake.
This cake is perfect as written but this recipe also makes amazing blueberry buckle muffins! Just divide the batter between your muffin cups and top with the streusel. Bake about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Can I Make This Cake with Frozen Blueberries?
Frozen blueberries would work. You have to add 5-10 minutes extra baking time.
Can You Freeze a Blueberry Mango Buckle?
Blueberry buckle is just delightful after you let it cool down a little bit. But if you do want to freeze the cake, bake according to recipe, let cool all the way, place in a container that is completely sealed. Cake will keep frozen for a couple of months.
Some Recipe Tips for the Best Blueberry Mango Buckle Recipe
- Be sure not to overwork the batter. Mix it gently. By mixing it gently you do get a more fluffy cake.
- The crumbs just may This helps keep them from sinking into the center of the cake as it bakes. Those tiny buttery crumbs are definitely a highlight of this cake!
Can You Freeze a Blueberry Mango Buckle?
- Blueberry Mango Buckle can be frozen. Blueberry buckle is just delightful after you let it cool down a little bit. But if you do want to freeze the cake, bake according to recipe, let cool all the way, place cake in a container that is completely sealed. Cake will keep frozen for a couple of months.
- If you prefer to freeze slices of the cake: wait till the cake cools down and you can freeze the slices after you wrap them. Let the slices thaw on counter when ready to use.
I’m getting carpal tunnel not from typing but from mango work. Mangoes can be tricky to clean.;) They slip and slide when you are trying to get the rest of the fruit next to the pit.
This blueberry mango buckle is a summer favorite of ours. We bake it every summer with different fruits. The first time I baked it was with just blueberries. Soon after we baked the buckle with strawberries. This summer I thought about blueberries and mangoes. I’m glad I did because the combination is divine.
My dad was stopping by and there wasn’t any mango cake left so I put together a couple of mango quick breads for him. The one on the left was made with olive oil and apple sauce. The one on the right I made with buttermilk in the batter. My dad said the olive oil version was fantastic.
A wonderful summer cake that you can make with your favorite stone fruit or berries. The cake is moist and delicious. Adjust the spice in the topping to your taste. I even add a little cinnamon to the batter. It’s a perfect breakfast or snack cake. For detailed photos of the how to make it, check out my strawberry buckle post.
slightly updated from July 2012
Blueberry Mango Buckle
- Cake Ingredients
- 1/4 cup of butter softened
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk or regular milk or your favorite non-dairy milk
- zest of lemon
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cups of blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup diced mangoes
- Crumble Topping
- 1/3 cup of butter softened
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter and flour 9 inch square or round pan. In a small bowl, add the flour, zest, baking powder and salt and whisk the ingredients.
- Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the milk and egg; mix well. Add the flour, lemon zest, baking powder, salt; mix well.
- Fold the berries and mangoes in gently by hand.
- Spread cake batter in cake pan, sprinkle topping over batter and bake for 30 minutes. Lower the heat to 325F and bake about another 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Hope your week starts off sweet and wonderful.:)