These Vegan Brownies are so rich and chocolaty. These are thick and cake-like, filled with chocolate flavor. The perfect vegan dessert to satisfy that chocolate craving!
I love brownies. I don’t discriminate. I will try brownies that are rich and dense. Fluffy and cake like. I don’t believe there exists a brownie that I would say no to. That’s why I never make them.
My kids will not hesitate to remind me of exactly how long it’s been since I’ve made brownies. According to their exact calculations, it’s been about 3 MONTHS and a week! And they were right. They’re so good at keeping up with my baking.
So the requests for brownies has been coming in from the both of them steadily these last couple weeks and I had to make them.
When I was baking these brownies yesterday, my son pulled out some of his school work from his backpack to show me. I love my kids’ artwork. In my humble opinion, every single piece is frame-worthy. That is why I have such a hard time parting with them and they save them in little boxes so I can glance at them from time to time. They all fill me with pride and I get misty eyed when I look at them.
Like this one he made of me this week. I am really lovin’ my purple cheeks and the one eye with eyelashes. I suppose I should be happy he didn’t tell the teacher that the monkey was me. The monkey is super cute too.
These brownies are cake-like and crazy good! It was funny how Luca and I kept sneaking in the kitchen to steal another little piece. I added coconut to the batter. You could switch that out to buttermilk if you like.
Since the recipe is without eggs, I had no problem in letting the kids clean the spoon. My son said, “Mamma, I love brownies. B is for brownie!! B is for BEAR! I’m a brown bear!” It got a little messy after he started helping me lick the bowl.
Some other vegan recipes to enjoy:
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour you could use all white AP flour if you prefer
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper and spray with baking spray.
- In a small bowl, add the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. Give it a whirl and set aside while you prep the next ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the orange juice, coconut milk, oil, and vanilla. Stir together completely and be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula until it is incorporated well. Pour the brownie mixture into the prepped baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean and the top is no longer shiny. Good luck in letting it cool before slicing.