I really look forward to apple baking season. I am a baker that will look for an excuse to try absolutely every apple recipe I come across. There is usually not any recipe that I do not want to meet. This Apple Zucchini Bundt Cake with Limoncello Glaze is just perfect for fall!
I couldn’t wait to to try out another zucchini bundt cake for the new baking challenge Anuradha and I launched: #BundtaMonth. This past weekend was the birthday of my best friend. She also adores apple desserts and she is also a big fan of my bundts. The perfect excuse to make another bundt! It just came down to finding a different and little more unique apple cake for her celebration. Doesn’t everybody bring a bundt to a birthday?
adapted from David Lebovitz
A very important part is to shred the zucchini. Just shred the zucchini and wring it together in a clean dish towel to get rid of the zucchini liquid. Once you do that you set aside the zucchini while you prep the other parts of the recipe.
Love this cake? Pin to your favorite cake board and save to bake!
Happy Bundt baking!:)
PS: for you Twix fanatics, I am still posting that recipe I promised for copycat Twix bars when I posted the Twix Muffins last week…it’s coming up on my next post;)
slightly updated from September 2012
Apple Zucchini Bundt with Crunchy Limoncello Glaze
- 2 cups flour I used half whole wheat and half all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups finely grated zucchini
- 1 large apple I used Golden Delicious, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Limoncello omit if needed and it will be fine
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease a 10 cup (2.5bundt (or tube cake pawith non-stick baking spray. I have great results with Pam. You could also butter and dust with flour. Tap the pan to shake out the excess flour.
- Shred the zucchini and wring it together in a clean dish towel to get rid of the zucchini liquid. Set aside the zucchini.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and rosemary. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed, beat the eggs, sugar, and oils until light and fluffy; approximately 3 minutes. Stop and scrape down the sides of the mixer; then add the vanilla.
- Add the in the dry ingredients a half a cup at a time scraping down the sides of the mixer bowl to make sure everything is incorporated then beat on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- Gently fold in the zucchini and apple.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan, smooth the top.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Wait to make the glaze until the last few minutes of the cake baking. In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, granulated sugar, and powdered sugar. You have to wait to make the glaze until the last minute because it will get very thick.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then carefully invert it onto a cooling rack. Brush the glaze over the cake with a pastry brush and let the cake cool completely.