Apple Cupcakes with Marshmallow Cinnamon Frosting are just perfect for fall! Filled with apples and all of the warm spices of the season and topped with a luscious marshmallow cinnamon frosting.
It is officially apple picking season. Are the temperatures cooling down where you live? Were you recently able to turn off your air conditioning to open your windows for a fresh cool breeze that you find in fall? Not here in steamy South Florida!
We are not even close to feeling any cooler temperatures, but that is not stopping me from working on my fall recipes! When I think of fall, I think of tasty apple desserts full of sweet apples and fragrant spices. I adore any dessert with apples in them. This Italian Vegan Apple Cake is a huge favorite! This Apple Pie with Oat Streusel is so easy to make and perfect for the holidays! I particularly adore cupcakes with apples in them!
Recently I heard that my friend Rachael from the fabulous La Fuji Mama was having some minor surgery, I offered to bake for her some amazing Apple Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting. I thought the last thing she should be thinking of while she is recovering is what to cook and bake for her fabulous La Fuji Mama Blog. Let foodie friends come to the rescue!
Apple Cupcakes with Marshmallow Cinnamon Frosting
- For the Apple Cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cups shredded peeled apples
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup oil you could use canola oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Marshmallow Frosting:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare the cupcakes: Line 12 (1/2 cup) muffin cups with cupcake liners or coat with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer set at medium speed, combine the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla; beat 2 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter, starting and ending with dry ingredients. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed. Fold in the grated apple. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cupcakes test done in the center. Cool in the pan 5 minutes before unmolding onto a rack. Let cool completely on a wire rack for about an hour before frosting.
- Put egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a metal bowl. Set over a saucepan of about 2 inches of simmering water. Whisk until sugar is dissolved and whites are warm (approximately 4 minutes).
- Transfer the egg white mixture to a bowl. Beat until stiff glossy peaks form (about 7 minutes). Beat in vanilla and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Spread or pipe the frosting onto the completely cooled cupcakes and sprinkle cinnamon on top.